Bengal Lancer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having checked my local super markets without luck I managed to fine it when I popped into Bath today, so I shall be drinking and culturing some of fullers yeast soon :)

As an IPA is it considered a good example? I've not tried many and those that I have didn't seem to fit with my understanding of an IPA

I think it might be a new invention. I much prefer Worthingtons White Shield. It's a pity that the yeast in that is reported not to be so good any more - presumably a bottling strain.

It's a pity that the yeast in Worthington White Shield is reported not to be so good any more - presumably a bottling strain.

Thanks, we'll see if the fullers yeast takes, I've 200ml of wort with some dregs in at the moment. From what I've read plenty have tried but a lot haven't managed it so I'm not holding out much hope.

Must say I've enjoyed the beer.

Maybe I just got lucky but I've cultured it 3 times and it's worked OK every time - good yeast too, drops nice and clear and sticks to the bottom of the bottle well.

The way I see it if you can culture a starter from a slant then it should be easier from a bottle! I swirled about the final 25ml of the beer around and dumped it in the wort. I'll up-size that in stages, if it takes off, then decant it to a few pots to make other starters, I may even try to slant it!

Dave1970 said:
Maybe I just got lucky but I've cultured it 3 times and it's worked OK every time - good yeast too, drops nice and clear and sticks to the bottom of the bottle well.

Well fingers crossed it looks like its started to grow. I didn't want to put it on a stir plate yet, so I've been swirling it round and there have been some bubbles on the top. This morning there were 2 white patches of bubbles which looked different from the rest, so it would appear that something is growing!

Will leave it a few days then up size it.

trouble is you can't be sure that the yeast you so carefully culture is the yeast that brewed the beer and gave it it's flavour. I'm told we have the youth to blame (yes, one more thing to blame them for) They like to drink from the bottle so need a yeast which will stick to the bottom. The brewing yeast may have been removed (filtered?) and been replaced with a bottling yeast to give it the fizz. It's therefore bottle conditioned. as it says on the label, but the yeast won't replicate the brew. Unless the brewers haven't done this with your choice of beer, in which case ignore the above. :oops:

As I understand it Fullers don't use a bottling strain, yet, and it is supposed to be the same yeast used in London Pride, Bengal Lancer, 1845 etc. Also available from Whitelabs as WLP002 but this way I get to drink the beer too :party:

Latest posts

Back