Best book.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispurvis

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im after recomendations for a book to buy.
Im after something with everything from sanitizing to kit beers to all grain(for when i take the leap to ag) Written in simple english with pics and illistrations.
ive been looking at buying a new one called mastering homebrew. Anyone got this one?
Thx in antecipation.
Chris :)

Greg Hughes' Home Brew Beer. Everything you need to know from kit upwards with great pics and tips for all stages. Have done a couple of extract and allgrain recipes from here too and all were very good. a book I still find myself returning too for tips. Also currently £3 on Amazon!!!

Another shout for Home Brew Beer, I got it for Christmas and it's very easy to read and understand. I still intend to pick up John Palmer's book which includes a huge amount of additional detail.

The original version yes. Its been updated a few times. Well presented in the book too, worth a few quid.

The original version yes. Its been updated a few times. Well presented in the book too, worth a few quid.

Yes I'm sure the updated paper version is worth the cost. It's a great resource that book.

It's quite a hard read through scientific terms though. Graham Wheelers BYOBRA is easier to read I feel.

Thx gents. Now about to sit down to greg hughes' wise words. Appreciate all your replys.

20150306_204314.jpg

Enjoy your bedtime reading! Sounds silly but for me the best bit is the index section as if I have some hope to use up I can immediately go to the recipe pages with them :)

Greg Hughes "Home Brew Beer" has just arrived, brand new hard back from Amazon, £3 with free postage. Bargain. Looks like a great book for all of us who are beginner and intermediate brewers. Nice clear layout, not too heavy on the text, good looking recipes.

Greg Hughes "Home Brew Beer" has just arrived, brand new hard back from Amazon, £3 with free postage. Bargain. Looks like a great book for all of us who are beginner and intermediate brewers. Nice clear layout, not too heavy on the text, good looking recipes.

Mine arrived shortly before noon today. Also picked up Beers of the World, which will be interesting, I suppose, and all delivered for just under £10.

for £3 quid it would have been rude not to buy it..mine arrived fri

Having had a bit of a look at it: I'm glad I got it cos for £3 it's worth it for the recipes. However, there is hardly any explanation of how to do anything. The book has been written in a day practically, I reckon, other than the assembling of recipes that represent each style. The recipes look good, but there is just one of each style, and only in 23 litre quantities.

It's worth getting at that price if you are a new AG brewer wanting to brew a good example of various styles of beer, and get an overview of the styles you are most likely to brew. I have Wheelers Classic European beers book and it has a better balance between recipes and brewing guidance. I'm sure BYOBRA does too, with it's selection of recipes for commercial real ales. How to Brew by John Palmer has much more in depth information and is a fantastic book for anyone wanting to get to grips with extract or all grain brewing. It has a few example recipes but lots of explanation. You won't read it in a hurry, you will keep going back to it, and gradually learn more.

I still think there's room for a book written from a British angle that looks at modern home brewing and explains clearly how to make different styles of beer that are popular now and what ingredients to use and how to create recipes, the effective use of different yeasts and hops, etc.

That said, these things quickly get out of date, so a really good online resource makes more sense, and forums like this and websites like byo.com, beerandwinejournal.com and others provide constantly updated and in-depth brewing information and recipes.

Just got a copy of Greg Hughes Home Brew Beer. Like a few fellow members have already said, worth it just for the recipes. :)

Back