Best bottles to use for a Youngs twin handled capper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Going to a pub this afternoon to clear out his bottle bins, not being too fussy as they're free however what would be the best ones to get?

Heard Magners are good?

Thanks

:D

Any of the cider bottles tend to work: kopparburg, bulmers, magners, stella (if clear are to be used for cider etc).

The only ones which are a real pain in the **** are the wychwood beer bottles, take along your capper and some caps for any your not sure about :)

Thanks for replies.

Will go and fill my car boot with cider bottles, and await the rolling of the eyes from the Wife on my return....

:roll:

:rofl:

I see that nobody has mentioned trying to go for Brown bottles as they help with shielding the beer from daylight and thus stop skunking which is the effect of hops reacting badly to daylight.

Hope you get enough bottles for your needs. :thumb:

Thanks LeithR

Yes some of the bottles are Brown but most are clear, I shall be leaving my bottles in the dark for the most part, or covering them over, I learnt about the effects of light when making red wine in DJ, I got mainly Stella cidre, bulmers,koppaberg, Newcastle Brown bottles, not a bad haul but felt a bit of a geek going in asking about raiding the bins when the pub was full of lager louts and kids, could've done with a balaclava as I filled the boot of the car, felt so wrong but then again who cares?

Cheers

Personally my bottled brews go into a large metal cabinet so are in the dark, hence i'm less worried about brown or clear glass. Other than that i'd probably only avoid wynchwood, the 2 handled cappers are a bit of a faff with the unique shaping at the top of wynchwood bottles.

Take a bottle into the pub for whoever let you have free range of his bins, he might start collecting them for you then :thumb: :thumb:

You won't feel so bad next time then, he might even throw in a crate to store the bottles in. Who knows! :clap:

I've used a varied selection, various 'real ales' from the tesco range, Stella cidre bottles which I think are pints rather than 500ml, kopparberg are excellent, labels come clean off after a 5 minute soak, avoid crabbies as the labels are plastic and a bitch to get off ( I gave up ). Also used bulmers clear and brown , magners, hoegaarden and leffe, I'm afraid I had to empty some of them myself :shock:

LeithR I might just do that, Rivvo I too found the koppaberg bottles to be really good, the labels dropped off, the Newcastle Brown bottles and bulmers were a pain and the Stella cidre bottles were fairly pain free, the bulbous tops on the stella cidre bottles worry me a little as might be a pain to cap, I have about 4 wychwood bottles, might just throw them away.

Found badger beer bottles weren't possible with that capper. Have a look at the top of the badger beer bottles and avoid similar designs.

Cactus Jack most of my beer bottles are badgers.... might have a problem here.......

:x :(

Yep I had the same problem, like badger beer and had been collecting the bottles. However tried to cap with a twin levered capper and it just won't work. It's to do with the ridge being close to the lip of the bottle and the capper needs this to be lower in order to grip and push the cap onto the bottle. Needless to say my consumption of any bottled beer with similar bottles is now practically none. Shame I like badger beer, guess when I have enough bottles I'll buy it again. Hey, who knows, u may manage to cap them. :cheers:

Andysbrew said:
Heard Magners are good?

They are very good. Griffin Brewery, which I think is Fullers, are not great. But also avoid anything clear and green too.

For no particular reason, my favourite bottles are Crabbies
The labels never come off though

Hmmm :hmm: .... favourite bottle eh.... completely impractical for storage but could be good to use when presenting homebrew as a gift would be the tall Aspall bottles for me. Other than that as long as I can cap it and it holds beer. :thumb:

I use Double Maxim bottles and have a couple of hundred of them, labels are a bitch to get off so I just leave them.

Latest posts

Back