Best brands for beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PedroPete

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm just wondering which brands you would consider to be the best at producing beer kits, I'm new to the home brew game and I'm basically just looking for opinions on who I should be looking out for and who to avoid, I've already had a go at a Simply kit which is conditioning right now, seems to be coming along nicely judging by the sneaky "testers" I've been having even though i made a huge balls up when priming, , planning on doing a Brewferm Christmas ale next followed by a Wilko Golden ale, what's everyone else's suggestions?

The wilko's golden ale is a great choice, and gets very good reviews on this forum (and from me!). Also the Woodfordes range is very popular, especially the Wherry.

Happy brewing! :cheers:

When Wilko had their 50% sale I also plundered a Coopers English bitter and a Geordie Scottish export kits along with some spraymalts and beer enhancer, so I suppose I've gave myself a good variety to start off with but I've been reading mixed reviews about Geordie kits and wondering what's the best approach with these?

Coopers have all been great except for the English bitter for me. The Coopers IPA is a lovely drink as is the stout. Two must try's in my opinion.

I've done 2 better brew kits and to be honest I've not been impressed with either.

All 2 can kits should be good especially if you brew them slightly short to around 21ltrs.

For single-can kits, I would go for Coopers (Favourites are the Australian Pale Ale and Original Stout - the Mexican Cervesa is ok, too).

Geordie are cheaper, and you get what you pay for. If you are happy with supermarket own brand bitter then these won't disappoint but they are not approaching "real ale" for me.

Two-can kits are a different game though - the woodfordes range (Wherry etc) always get a good response, as does the golden ale kit from Wilkos. I haven't brewed any of these as I've moved to all-grain which is cheaper and tastes far better, but is a lot more effort.

I haven't tried any other kits but they can vary hugely in quality - have a look at the reviews section.

Coopers and John Bull and the youngs Scottish heavy and mild are really good to. Actually youngs bitter and Yorkshire bitter were nice as well, but steer clear of their stout, it's **** !!!! And of course 2 can wise, woodfords Is the champ.

Before going all grain I brewed several kits, Coopers were the best of the single can kits that I brewed, but they were knocked into a cocked hat by the two can kits, Woodeforde's Wherry in particular was really rather nice.

Thing is, none of them are in the same arena as real ale brewed in the kitchen, take the leap, go all grain, you know you want to ;) :)

Let's pretend it 1982, TOP OF THE POPS!!

In at 4 - Muntons / Wilko's own. I think they are the same base kit but yet to have one fail. Tasty, doing what they say on the tin - if a bit weakly...

At 3 - Coopers. Cracking base beer to add stuff too. A change in malt, a brew enhancer. Only one that was no good (for me) was the Curveza. Wasted 40 pints of that... their stout / European lager / draught are awesome though.

Down to 2 - Woodfordes double tins. The Wherry is superb, Admirals and Sundew very nice, Nelsons revenge is just being ordered.

And at 1 - Brewferm. Expensive, need good sugars (Candi syrup or golden syrup), and at least 3 months age-ing = but WOW. The triple is lovely, the Diablo and Pils amazing. The Abjil / Ambroi get better every week. Just let them brew out for 2 weeks, don't over-prime and the whole range is amazing. I've even planned in advance and made two of the Xmas.

I'd have to say woodfordes, although i too am quite new to this brewing business. So far i have done their wherry and sundew, both ace.

For me:

Better Brew, Coopers and Brewferm for the one can/pouch kits.
Muntons Gold, Woodfordes, Ritchies Festival for the two can ones.

These are all great start points for good beer, but they can all be improved to the point of blowing people away by:

- never using sugar, only malt
- using hop teas
- using dry hops
- fermenting cool
- leaving lots of time between primary fermentation and bottling.

I've had surprisingly good results from cheap kits. But I do add DME/LME rather than just sugar, and hop tea and/or dry hop the bitters.

Latest posts

Back