Best time to transport beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tondy79

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a beer fermenting in the bucket, but a new plan has been formulated with my friends which means it needs to be moved to another location for the eventual drinking - around 15 minutes drive away.

It isn't going to be drunk till January, and I have some flexibility as to when it moves, so I am considering what will be the best point to move it. My friend doesn't want it sitting in his house too long, but is happy to have it in his garage, so I am thinking my options are:

1) Add the priming sugar to the keg, transfer the beer to the keg, and then drive it over immediately, then leave it to carbonate for a few days in friends house, then move to garage till ready to drink.
2) Transfer the beer to the keg without priming sugar, drive it over, take off the lid and add the sugar once I get it to friends house, leave it to carbonate, then move to garage.
3) Carbonate in the keg at mine, then drive it directly to friend's garage once carbonated.
4) Something else that is much more sensible that I haven't thought of.

Thoughts/experience appreciated!

If you use priming sugar & rely on the yeast to pressurise the beer, then I would move it within a week of doing that & then leave for at least a couple of weeks to finish carbing up & settle out.
That's what I used to do when using pressure barrels anyway.

If you have a fancy co2 system, then you might even be able to fill your keg sans yeast & force carb it. Then you could move it any time as there shouldn't be much sediment to disturb.
I am sure one of the force carb people will correct this if im wrong.

Thanks Jof, that will work in terms of timings, and yes, I'm relying on the yeast and sugar to pressurise the beer as I just have a very basic/beginner set up. I do have a co2 cap on the keg, so can add co2 that way, but not a fancy system!

Thanks again!

The basic rule is add priming sugar and keep it warm for a couple of weeks for it to secondarily condition, then keep it cool (your mate's garage sounds ideal) to help it clear and condition

I applaud your plans to leave it until Jan because in my opinion most people rush their beer

However, what style/abv of beer is it?

Hoppy beers are best drunk young

Did you say that you or the beer won't be drunk until January?

I think the question of when to transport the beer is not relevant - since as long as it has time to clear my view is that it doesn't matter

Jof is correct about force carbonation, but the whole process of forced carbonation can be fraught with problems.

Thanks for the reply. It's just a Young's American IPA kit, so it is dry hopped, but from everything I've read the fermentation can take up to a couple of weeks, plus a couple of days for the hops before kegging, then adding two weeks in the warm and two weeks conditioning in a cool spot, we'll be at mid December already, so I'm hoping am extra two or three weeks will do more good than harm :D

I wasn't sure if taking it on a drive after carbonation would lose the carbonation somehow. If that should be good though and its just a matter of giving it time to resettle/condition, then that is perfect.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. It's just a Young's American IPA kit, so it is dry hopped, but from everything I've read the fermentation can take up to a couple of weeks, plus a couple of days for the hops before kegging, then adding two weeks in the warm and two weeks conditioning in a cool spot, we'll be at mid December already, so I'm hoping am extra two or three weeks will do more good than harm :D

I wasn't sure if taking it on a drive after carbonation would lose the carbonation somehow. If that should be good though and its just a matter of giving it time to resettle/condition, then that is perfect.

Thanks again!
Your pressure keg will contain the pressure - what ever you do with it - hope you enjoy it

Just to report back that this turned out great, and was loudly enjoyed by all!

Great kit, I might try some others in the Young's range.
That's good to hear. I've done a couple of youngs kits in the past and was fairly happy with them. There are also some excellent "premium" kits around that have 2 cans of malt extract.

Latest posts

Back