BIAB Brew Day #1 - American Pale Ale. Apollo/Columbus combo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]BIAB Brew Day #1 ��" American Pale Ale[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Due to it being Wales' first game of the 2015 Rugby World Cup and yesterday was Alun Wyn Jones' birthday I have decided to name this brew AWJ APA.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Recipe - [/FONT]

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Apollo/Columbus Combo IPA
Author: Leon
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.15%
IBU (tinseth): 63.11
SRM (morey): 8.32
FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (83.3%)
1 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 15L (16.7%)
HOPS:
20 g - Apollo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 19.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 39.4
20 g - Columbus, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 16.8, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 16.84
30 g - Columbus, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 16.8, Use: Boil for 0 min
40 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.7, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
20 g - Apollo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 19.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
10 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.7, Use: Boil for 0 min
10 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.87

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 20 L
YEAST:

Default US05
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med
Optimum Temp: 18.89 - 22.22 C

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This was my first BIAB brew after starting with kits, extract and partial mashes. It was also my first brew with my new HBC BIAB kit. I encountered my first issue right from the start, I didn't have a false bottom and I was worried about 6kg touching the element during the mash. I thought about using a plate (all I had) but thought I would see how it would go without anything. The second issue was the water stopped heating after it hit 40c. I wasted an hour trying different extension leads etc and worked out it was the lead HBC supplied, it was a little on the loose side. I had to wiggle to lead around to find the correct connection and I finally got it working[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After sorting out the dodgy lead I was 2 hours behind in my schedule. Although I had all day it still felt rushed. I think the mash went well, a better thermometer would have helped because I was losing temperature with the lid open for so long, I turned the power on twice to maintain the right temperature. I under estimated the amount of water that would be contained within the grain. I didn't get it all out so a pair of rubber gloves will be needed next time. I didn't lose as much wort to the mash and went with 28l for the boil. I sparged in 10l water which was a bit too much (some wasted). That went very well. I kept the lid on and only had a little boil over, well it was more of a spit coming from the small hole in the lid. Towards the end I loosen the lid to prevent this spitting action. All ingredients added on time but I did misread my recipe and added the 10g of citra at 15 minutes but I added some at flame out anyway. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The immersion chiller took an hour to chill to 20c, a little longer than I hoped but gave me enough time to sort another issue. I broke my thermometer yesterday and managed to pick up a digital one from my local farmers co-op but this stopped working when I was cooling, luckily a neighbour had one. I was really impressed with the hop strainer I bought from HBC and it worked a treat. I didn't add any water whilst boiling because I thought I had enough but came up a little short of my 23l target, but only just around 21/22l. I should have kept that wort left over from the sparge. I did consider topping it up but I decided against it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hydrometer reading came in at 1063 so just above target but I was a little short on the wort. Pitched US05 yeast supplied at 22°C. Will ferment out at around 20c.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Things to consider for next time:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Get another glass thermometer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Buy a false bottom. Although it wasn't needed on this occasion, for a few quid I rather the piece of mind when I put the heat on.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sort out the dodgy power connection.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Buy a large sieve and rubber gloves to drain the bag. I guess normal yellow washing up gloves will do?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Here are some pictures:[/FONT]

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

looks like it will be a good brew.

its all part of a learning curve, the more we brew, the more mistakes we rectify from last time.

i have this kit and I use an old metal colander as a false bottom. And yes, yellow rubber gloves (pink in my case) work fine for handling the bag.

looks like it will be a good brew.

its all part of a learning curve, the more we brew, the more mistakes we rectify from last time.

i have this kit and I use an old metal colander as a false bottom. And yes, yellow rubber gloves (pink in my case) work fine for handling the bag.

Thanks. Learnt a lot with this brew, hopefully the next one will go better. Waiting for further correspondence from Shane at HBC regarding the boiler.

Sorry they are poor quality. I had setup my proper camera to document it but the issue with the boiler distracted me and I forgot all about it.

13 days in and the krausen as finally dropped. Checked fg and it was 1.014 so about 6.43% going to put in a secondary tomorrow and turn the heater off. Will look to dry hop on Wednesday night and keg on Sunday

Did I read right that you left the lid on during the boil? If you did that's not recommended as you can end up with dms in your beer (I think it's dms anyway) which can lead to some vegetable like flavours.

Yes it was fully on for most of the boil. Done that will all my boiks but both my boiler have hole so steam. Never had an issue and it certainly doesn't taste of vegetables, yet anyway

I am not sure whether to transfer into a secondary and knock the heat off for a week so it has a sort of crash or to leave it until Wednesday when I will dry hop. Thoughts?

You don't need the heat now. Cool it down, will help it to clear.

4 days of dry hopping complete. I filled 12 bottles and put the rest in my pressure barrel. So easier than preparing 40+ bottles. I have hit a bit of a problem already though, my tap is leaking a little. Might mean I have to drink it all pretty quick.

I was disappointed to find I had only 18 liters of wort in the end, had over an inch of trub in the bottom of the fv

Is the tap leaking from the seal or the actual tap end? I Had trouble on a barrel with the seal and just turned the barrel on its side,, loosened the tap and then re tightened it. Think it was over tightened and the sea had distorted. That seems to be the cause of 99% of barrel issues. I've had no problems with my two after realising that.

Edit: the brew sounds fantastic, right up my street.

It is the actual tap end. I have turned the barrel on its side. I will keep it like that until I transfer it back out into the garage when its ready. I can put a small pot under it then. Will get a new tap soon. I thought the seal might go, it looked a little fcuked but held up whilst washing it etc.

It tasted lovely flat so can't wait to try it.

So it's been 4 days in the barrel and I thought I better check it's working. All going well so far. It's darker thAn I thought which isn't a bad thing. Carbonation is good and flavor is nice. It's seems pretty clear dispite me turning the barrel 90 degrees to pour.

Just had to try a bottle and it's a lot better than I thought. Some way off being perfect but time will improve the taste. Lovely smell and taste of citra and the right amount of carbonation for me. Like a lot of my brews there isn't much head.

Latest posts

Back