Biscuit Brown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may get some info from them. They seem good sorts.
You were spot on.....

Hi Martin,

Glad you enjoyed the Biscuit Brown! Below is a scaled recipe for 25 litres. You might need to recalculate a little for you efficiency

OG. 1.048

FG. 1.012

Mash salts, calcium chloride 6g, calcium sulphate 2g, Bi-carb 1g.

Malt, mashed for 67c:

Golden Promise 3.3kg
Brown Malt 0.363kg
Amber Malt 0.240kg
Oat Malt 0.476kg
Golden Naked Oats 1.4kg
Wheat Malt 0.476

Hops (I used T90 pellets) increase by 50% for leaf:

Start of boil Target 40g
End of boil Target 20g increase by 50% for leaf

Mash rest 1 hour, 75 minute boil,

Yeast! West Yorkshire Ale Yeast, Wye Yeast smack pack would be best.

Kind regards

Top man! Top brewery! I'm sure he's got the hops wrong though. 60g of Target? He means Goldings, surely?

Last edited:
You were spot on.....

Hi Martin,

Glad you enjoyed the Biscuit Brown! Below is a scaled recipe for 25 litres. You might need to recalculate a little for you efficiency

OG. 1.048

FG. 1.012

Mash salts, calcium chloride 6g, calcium sulphate 2g, Bi-carb 1g.

Malt, mashed for 67c:

Golden Promise 3.3kg
Brown Malt 0.363kg
Amber Malt 0.240kg
Oat Malt 0.476kg
Golden Naked Oats 1.4kg
Wheat Malt 0.476

Hops (I used T90 pellets) increase by 50% for leaf:

Start of boil Target 40g
End of boil Target 20g increase by 50% for leaf

Mash rest 1 hour, 75 minute boil,

Yeast! West Yorkshire Ale Yeast, Wye Yeast smack pack would be best.

Kind regards

Top man! Top brewery! I'm sure he's got the hops wrong though. 60g of Target? He means Goldings, surely?
Awesome! I'm gonna brew that too. Right up my street. Cheers!

So they used the West Yorkshire that they also put in the Abbey ale. Odd that he has said Target - but I wouldn't sweat it too much myself. Either should be fine.

I was going to say that I think Stuart (who is their development brewer and I think behind the Revival series) would come up trumps.

Think he used to homebrew, albeit after becoming a professional brewer.

Might give this a go too!

That is a surprisingly large amount of golden naked oats. But that's great he shared I have all of those ingredients in stock I may give this a go next week.

I was going to say that I think Stuart (who is their development brewer and I think behind the Revival series) would come up trumps.

Think he used to homebrew, albeit after becoming a professional brewer.

Might give this a go too!
I may try too once the hopping is confirmed.
No toasting of the oats then?

Agreed. I had the second lot going in at 15 mins before the end of the boil. Still way too bitter though. Either the hop is wrong or the quantity.
Depends on which calculator is used, I use Brewers Friend to put my recipes together but not their IBU calculator so according to their calculator I have nothing under 46 IBU's apart from a mild at 38 IBU. Bitters and IPA high 50's to 70 IBU.
I may try too once the hopping is confirmed.
No toasting of the oats then?
Yes toast the oats, even wouldn't hurt toasting 500 gram of the base malt too. I made an ANZAC Day Brown Ale some years ago and toasted the oats and 500 gram of base malt. Similar recipe to above but I did add 60L crystal to get a bit more biscuit flavour. (ANZAC is also a very tasty biscuit over here)

Depends on which calculator is used, I use Brewers Friend to put my recipes together but not their IBU calculator so according to their calculator I have nothing under 46 IBU's apart from a mild at 38 IBU. Bitters and IPA high 50's to 70 IBU.
The Biscuit Brown that I tasted was more bitter than most brown ales, but no way did it have that level of Target hops. It's possible, I guess, that the Target hops he used were closer to 8%AA, in which case I could believe it.

Last edited:
The Biscuit Brown that I tasted was more bitter than most brown ales, but no way did it have that level of Target hops.
Send him an email back telling him he's got it wrong about the hops.
My Irish Red which are similar to brown ales has 30 gram Target @ 60minutes and 20 gram EKG @ 30 mins for a 21 litre brew comes in at 38.75 IBU. If I calculated it on Brewers Friend it is 62 IBU

Ha! I certainly won't be telling him he's got his own beer wrong. But I will ask him to confirm it.
Can you ask about the golden naked oats too, most of the manufacturers only recommend 10% max it's 23% in that recipe. I wonder if he meant 0.14kg?

It may be fine though and could be a partial sub for crystal malt I guess.

Depends on which calculator is used
Ideed it does. Early Wheeler recipes assumed 20% utilisation although later editions of his books indicate he was brow beaten into adopting a variable scale. I started with the former and I've always stuck with it. Using his formula, Target pellets at 10,3% alpha acid would give about 33 IBUs + 10% for pellets, so 36 IBUs.
Considering the oiliness of the quantity of crystal oats, I would say that's entirely in keeping. I've never tasted the beer, though.

I think I read somewhere that Wheeler wasn't a great fan of Tinseth.

Last edited:
Problem is solved. I asked about the hops and the gravity which seemed high to me too. Turns out that this is the recipe for the Extra Biscuit Brown (ABV 5.5) which he says is an upscaled version of the Biscuit Brown (ABV 4.5 and the beer I drank). He says that, using those Target hop levels, he had about 30 IBU from the first addition. I think I shall brew to 30 IBU on Brewfather.

Hi Martin,

Yes that was the extra version, you can just scale it back if you want it weaker, I had around 30ibu from that addition.

Kind regards

Stuart Ross

Once again, good man for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:
Re. The level of toasted oats. His levels don't surprise me. Toasting the oats leaves them with what is still a relatively subtle flavour. You need quite a quantity to get the biscuity flavor.

Latest posts

Back