Bit Concerned About My Young's Oaked Rum Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfajerry

Reaction score
Thanks to you blokes, my first ever brew, the Young's AIPA, came out well in the end, and I had no problem with my second brew, the Mocha Porter.
This ORA, though, I'm not sure of.
Been in FV two weeks, SG now steady at 1008, but it started at 1048 which I see is lower than the 1060 most people seem to get.
Unlike the other two beers, I can't say I can see it tasting good when finished, the other two I happily drank what I'd drawn off for SG tests, this one I put down the sink.
It's a murky brown colour.
Any advice?
Will it come good?
I'm reluctant to bottle it at the moment.
Jerry

DSC_0373.JPG

I've made this a few times. The sachet of oak dust you add at the start does perhaps make for it being a bit murky but it does come good. It does get better with age as well so don't expect it to be amazing after a couple of weeks conditioning.

Weirdly I had a few bottles in the garage labelled up as Festival Steam Beer they were getting on for over a year old so I decided to start drinking them, turned out they weren't Steam but Oaked Rum Ale. Must get better at labelling my bottles as soon as I cap them. Anyway was pretty good at a year old!

Thanks Graz.
I've transferred it to a secondary, minimising oak bits transfer, and I'll look at it again after two weeks warm and two weeks cool, and decide then re bottling.
Sounds like time is essential for this one.
Jerry

Latest posts

Back