Black Forest Fruits Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Regular.
Reaction score
Last week while shopping in Aldi, I came across some frozen 500g tubs of Black Forest Fruits which contained, Blackberries, Sour Cherries, Blue Grapes and Black Currants. I thought I would try making a wine out of these berries.

This is my recipe any comments welcome

3 Tubs of Black Forest Fruits, £1.49 per tub
1 KG of sugar
1 campden tablet
1 tsp citric acid
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
1/4 tsp epsom salts
1 tsp youngs yeast compound

Put the berries into a stockpot or bucket and leave them to thaw out, then crush the berries.
Pour 1 kg of sugar onto the berries and add 2 litres od boiling water and give it a good stir.

With a small amout of warm water in a jug, dissolve the citric, tannin, pectolase, nutrient, epsom salts and crushed campden.
Add this to the must, stir and leave covered for 24 hours. While waiting make a yeast starter.

After 24 hours, add the yeast starter and stir.
Cover the pot/bucket and leave for between 5 and 7 days, stirring daily.

Strain into a Demi John and fit airlock

I will be using Red Grape Juice to top up with.

I've not used this combination of berries before, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'll guess the tannin is a good idea, as a juice sold for drinking will have less than you'd usually want for wine.

My SG is 1.100 which will produce around 14% abv, but that number will go down a little after racking and topping up a few times.

Aldi's also do a summer fruits version with strawberries, raspberries, red currants.

oldbloke said:
I'll guess the tannin is a good idea, as a juice sold for drinking will have less than you'd usually want for wine.

It's frozen fruit with skins on, was my thinking. I guess it's down to the number of sour cherries and grapes vs blackberries more than anything...

I think the 500g weight is the actual weight of the fruit excluding packaging.

The fruit pulp that is left over after straining is very sweet and pleasant, so I've re-froze them and I'm going to use them as toppings on cheese cakes, additives for greek style yoghurts, triffles and ice creams, rather than throw them out.

Latest posts

Back