Black in my starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’m going to start a “is everything ok?!?!?!?” thread.

I have crashed my lager yeast starter overnight to do a second step tonight/tomorrow for a brew on Sunday/Monday.

big black bits have settled on the bottom. Given I’m a relative newbie to liquid yeast is this normal? The yeast is Omega German Lager
F38CBD90-7C18-49C0-B92F-F05D8D8A7F9B.jpeg

tenor.gif

EDIT - a lot of the black in the picture is just shadow. It’s just settled in the 4 “feet” at the bottom of the bottle.

Last edited:
I've noticed little black bits occasionally, I (rightly or wrongly) put it down to pieces of burnt DME from the heat being too high and/or not mixing the DME in properly before boiling. Never caused me any issues, but give it the smell/taste test before you use it.

How did you boil your wort before adding the yeast? In my early days of making starters, I tipped my malt (I use LME) into the boiling water on the hob and it promptly burnt to **** on the bottom of my Erlenmeyer. I now know to dissolve it in hot water before then boiling it on the stove. Could just be burnt malt as suggested above?

Cheers all. I’ll go on the assumption it’s burnt malt. I added boiling water to the DME, gave it a good stir and boiled for 5mins. Our pans are prone to stuff sticking so it makes sense. A tiny bit of black like that won’t have an effect on 23L of Munich Helles.

Yeah, I also see it occasionally and think it's (harmless) burnt DME.
Glad it seems (relatively) common. It’s only my 4th ever yeast starter, (my second using DME -1st 2 were a few of years ago and with H&B LME) and it’s the first time I’ve seen it.

Latest posts

Back