Black IPA - Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
I discovered some Carapils lurking around (also, i spilled some of the Caramunich) so the amended recipe is:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Black Betty Homage

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 9.5 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 12 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.079
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.100
Final Gravity: 1.025
ABV (standard): 9.87%
IBU (tinseth): 57.99
SRM (morey): 41.72

FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (67.4%)
565 g - United Kingdom - Malted Naked Oats (12.7%)
500 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 50L (11.2%)
250 g - German - Carafa II (5.6%)
62 g - German - CaraMunich II (1.4%)
74 g - German - Caramel Pils (1.7%)

HOPS:
15 g - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 55 min, IBU: 48.29
10 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.7
70 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 0 min
80 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 70 C, Time: 70 min, Amount: 10.5 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 70 C, Time: 70 min, Amount: 6.5 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 g - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
50 g - Carafa II (colour), Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Other

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

Strike up to 72C then mashed in with the malt bill. Completely forgot to separate the water into mash and sparge. I am two DIPAs deep at this point, so... yeah. Bad practice.

Realise about 40secs into mashing that i should have a split amount of water, divide the kettle into two. Step mash, if you will. Mashed at approx 66 for 60 mins, then a mash out at 80C. Sparged until nothing left, dumped kettle off-the-boil at 2l on top to wash the grains.

Total pre-boil is 14l. So, i've some amount of boiling to go.

Updates as they come.

I popped the BIAB in a sieve over an empty FV and squeezed it, but I think the key was having two pots (totally an accident). I used the second pot of mash to sparge, then used the off boil water (1.5l) to wash it all through. I then squashed and squeezed the bag with a Pyrex jug to get every last bit of sweet goodness. Effectively a process of recirculation. If I'd not used the kettle water I think efficiency would be much much higher. Onwards and upwards!

Hoping to dry hop in 6 days (activity dependent) and have this bottled within two, then another two for bottle ageing. Should be ready by second week of September.

I can guarantee you at that original gravity, it'll take a month or two of conditioning to taste at it's best. Give a bottle of taste after two weeks' bottle conditioning, but it will have a slight boozy roughness to it.
Looking forward to the booze forwardness of it ;)

latest

I can guarantee you at that original gravity, it'll take a month or two of conditioning to taste at it's best. Give a bottle of taste after two weeks' bottle conditioning, but it will have a slight boozy roughness to it.
Looking forward to the booze forwardness of it ;)

Yepmy 2nd half of my HBC DIPA had a gravity of 1074 after 3 weeks in the Fv it had a real alcoholc taste .. this has mellowed and was much better after 6 weeks.

Regarding the dry hop.. personally I would leave it until its well fermented, I would leave this in the FV at least 3 weeks and dry hop in the last.

Fermentation has been slow, not as crazy as previous Maris otter based IPAs. Will gravity check on Monday night, see if the krausen has cleared.

Krausen clear, bear enough FG. Going to get the dry hops in tonight, let it do its thang, then bottle early next week

I dropped the dry hops in, let it get on with its aroma absorption. Couple days later dropped a little dextrose in to offset the bitterness. Finally bottled this up about 10 days ago.

Cracked the first cold one on Saturday night:

5cf6e460406c52dd854efa683bec6560_640x640.jpg

Yes, that would be called 'I Find your Black IPA Disturbing' with a Star Wars theme label :)

First impressions:

Bang on. Appropriately dry and bitter, the dextrose helped balance this out. The aroma hops haven't done their job quite as well as i would have liked so dry hopping will be my next skill to master. Carbonation is also an issue as this hasn't quite popped and fizzed - i'll have to up my quantities next time.

All in all the best beer i've created thus far and a recipe i will certainly repeat with minimal revision.

Carbonation is also an issue as this hasn't quite popped and fizzed - i'll have to up my quantities next time.

Yeast activity slows with higher ABV. Give these two or three weeks miniumum in the warm, and then a few days in the fridge. But the flavours will come together properly in more like two months.

Latest posts

Back