Black Sheep Bitter Stuck !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster324956

Reaction score
Hi all

I wounder if you guys would have done anything different !

AG#4 Black Sheep Bitter GWs book.

First time using new electrim boiler everything went to plan ,however prieviously I've always used our range to boil the wort ,I noticed that this time the wort did not clear as it has done before .No matter subsequent wort tasted great and sg hit.
Three days after pitching yeast 1019 two days later 1019 tried getting air into wort no joy ,casked beer day six with 75grms cane sugar.

This was four weeks ago and I've left it alone ,there is a lot of sediment in the cask ,even in the tap! it does look clear though.

I'm going to bottle the lot and leave for Autumn .

My main question is should I prime the bottles as not all the sugar worked out "fear of exploding bottles"or should I have done more by repitching some yeast!!!instead of priming and casking???

Your thoughts please .

well, 3.8% is OK - although short of the 4.6% the book is expecting :hmm:

First suspect is insufficent aeration of the wort before pitching the yeast.

Next is temperature control.

You have given it plenty time though, so I think you've done the right thing in the circumstances.

I've bottled 'stuck' beer at 1020 and it's been absolutely fine :drink:

I did hold back a bit on the priming sugar though, just in case - probably about 2/3rds the normal amount per bottle. :thumb:

Thanks B.Y

Aeration dropped into fv from boiler leaving frothy head ,a process I only do once maybe in future I will repeat.

Beer has been kept in kitchen where my only worry would be maybe to hot ! to be honest I've only worried about temperature in winter .

The priming aspect does worry me ,I usually prime with half a teaspoon of cane sugar maybe this time I'll go with a quarter .

Hadn't thought about the av now being 3.8 not that it bothers me that much ,anyway time to prep 40 bottles :roll:

Thanks again :cheers:

Latest posts

Back