Blackberry Wine Booboo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirton

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advise as I've messed up somewhat?

I've just made up a 5 gallon batch of blackberry wine, however I've added far to much water for the initial fermentation leaving it only 2 inches from the top of my bucket. I know from before that as soon as I add the yeast and vigorous fermentation begins, a lot of this wine will end up on the floor and I'll be in the dog-house! So far I've added the blackberrys, boiling water and the sugar. I don't have anymore buckets so the way I see it I've got 3 options...

1. Don't add the yeast. Add some Camden tablets and and leave in the bucket for a few days so that all niceness of the blackberrys gets into the water. Siphon off from the sludge into demijohns, clean the bucket and pour back in and then add the yeast.

2. Wait for it to cool and siphon off a couple of demijohns, adding a Camden tablet to the demijohns. Add the yeast to the bucket and after the initial vigorous fermentation is over, add one demijohn, wait a day or 2 and then add the other.

OR

3. Add the yeast now and siphon off a couple of demijohns (half full). Mix it all back together after the initial fermentation.

Which of the above is the better option?

Latest posts

Back