Blandford Flies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearlfisher

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yesterday morning whilst walking the dogs along the Severn bund nearby I was bitten on the wrists by what I believe to be the above.
It left small marks which are still there and shortly afterwards I became, and still am ,quite weak and have abdominal pains and I developed a large red rash on my chest ,which I usually have when I get a throat or chest infection.
I must have felt poorly since I had no alcohol yesterday or didn't even want any! :shock: ,it must be 6 months since I missed a day without ale or wine.

Just found this online

ymptoms of Blandford fly bites

The NHS says Blandford fly bites are usually most common during May and June. They often occur on the legs and are very painful. They can produce a severe, localised reaction around the area of the bite. It says symptoms include:

Oedema (swelling)
Blistering
A high temperature ( fever) of 38C (100.4F) or over
Joint pain
Treatment for Blandford fly bites

Doctors familiar with Blandford fly bites suggest the following treatments:

Clean the bite wound with soap and water and dry gently
Creams that contain camomile lotion, steroid cream or anaesthetic can soothe the pain of a bite, as can an antihistamine tablet. Do not apply cream or ointment to broken skin and always follow the instructions on the packet. Even though it may be itchy, try to avoid scratching the bite because you may damage the skin and allow bacteria to get in
Redness and irritation are common and should settle within a few days with these measures
Secondary infection is less common. If you notice red lines appearing on the skin or enlarged lymph nodes (swelling) in your armpit or groin, seek medical advice.

I suffered an attack of these the other week.
20 on the left leg and 26 on the right.

Joint pains and swelling (ankles), a treatment of cortesone and antihistamines and all OK.

Pearlfisher said:
I must have felt poorly since I had no alcohol yesterday or didn't even want any! :shock:
What, not even one of these?

2537601485_d0beeb1f38_z.jpg

Used to be one of my favourite Summer beers, but recently re-named from Fly to Blandford Flyer

Latest posts

Back