Blank canvas - micro brewery design

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beef

Reaction score
I have just been given a space to install a brewery! The space is fully tiled and is 2.5m x 3.3m. I have 3 x 25l kits and one 100l kit which I use to teach 6th form students how to brew beer and cider (badly!) I need help in designing the space and wondered if anyone could offer tips having gone through a similar process themselves. Where should I put power, water supplies, sinks, drainage, storage etc.

I've always said that if it wasn't for the issue of kids and booze, brewing should be taught in school. Home economics, biology, chemistry, physics and design/engineering in one subject. Even art can be tagged onto it, if you go into label design, Or, history.

Last edited:
If the kits using 240V I would install 2 separate ring circuits. Also a sink waist height would make it easy to clean equipment. If your kits can be stripped down to small pieces a full size dishwasher would be great.
I'd think about the extraction, I'd say a good quality extractor fan would do the job. But I feel it's an educational place so it has to complain to set rules regarding that.

I'd might do some temporary set ups, to make sure everything is in a convenient location.

The Malt Miller offer brewing experience days and have a nice, simple setup for getting a large number of simultaneous brews in a fairly small space. It can be seen in the following short video (and in various other videos on their channel). I intend to set something like this up for myself in the future, although I'd personally have a different arrangement for the counterflow chiller; I like to have mine vertical so that it drains by gravity, enabling me to get every last drop into the fermenter. Having it held horizontally means that wort gets left behind in the coils.

ETA: Daft Cat Brewing did the brewing experience day and did a good video documentary where the setup is visible in more detail.

Latest posts

Back