Bleach as a cleaner/sterilizer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Videne

Does this contain iodine?
Wouldn't it stain yellow?
Do you need gloves?

Cheers Spud.

yes it is 10% iodine. It will give you a great tan! :D

12540.jpg

:lol: what freaks :lol:

can you use peracetic acid instead of videne? are there advantages of one or the another? the Malt Miller sells a peracetic acid kit 250ml for £5. I'd be using it for bottling. :cheers:

Good Ed said:
:lol: what freaks :lol:

can you use peracetic acid instead of videne? are there advantages of one or the another? the Malt Miller sells a peracetic acid kit 250ml for £5. I'd be using it for bottling. :cheers:

Yes you can. I think videne looks a cheaper option. Peracetic does degrade over a period of time. I got some peracetic from Malt miller but will probably order some Videne next, as Ceejay says...

Ceejay said:
These threads always seem to come back to this, but I recently invested in a 500ml bottle of Videne Antiseptic Solution.

Good Ed said:
can you use peracetic acid instead of videne? are there advantages of one or the another?
peracetic doesn't contain iodine which can affect thyroid function (but not in the residual quantities we use)

peracetic acid is a much more effective biocide, contact times are much shorter . . .but you cannot use it in contact with copper or zinc.

peracetic acid is the only chemical in the brewery that I use gloves/eye protection with when working with the neat solution.

peracetic acid does loose it's effectiveness over time, so ideally you need to keep it in a fridge . . .or use it quickly (It's also available via ebay :shock:)

Thanks, I'll get some videne, also a bottle rinser and tree, which should make things easier; however need to get this past the financial controller first ;)

Back