Blobs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if even after a rouse to mix in the sediment leave it at least 3-4 weeks to do its thing.

a cheap temperature logger sat next to the brew to indicate whats happening temperature wise during the day may indicate a wide swing in temps that could upset the yeast??
stabalising the brewbucket temperature by insulating it especially from any draughts that could chill too low overnight

If after 4 weeks however its still sat at 1.024 and not suffering from wide temperature swings,

test bottle a couple one with a priming charge one without. wrap the one with a priming charge (level teaspoon of white sugar) in a towel and keep in a bag/box just in case if glass, if pet dont fret at all ;)

and stash the 2 test bottles in a warmer spot for a week. If the bottle without a priming charge has carbonated and developed some condition, sit on the bucket a further week or two, but if its not conditioned at all AND the bottle with a priming charge HAS conditioned somewhat (1 week may not be sufficient for full conditioning ) You can probably bottle and prime as usual and the kits finished with a higher FG than expected, It can happen .. BUT if neither bottles have any condition Then it may be the case that somethings killed your yeast, perhaps a careless sample draw with a bleached and unrinsed turkey baster (Yup im guessing??). in which case you may wish to try repitching and monitoring for up to a further 2 weeks.

the kit instructions all indicate a brew may be complete and ready to pour in a month or less, and in optimum conditions a fizzy drink can be poured within that sort of time scale, However its a live process and as such can and generally does take a little longer, especially as when conditioned (generally after 2 weeks in the warm (20-25c) the beer will generally benefit from a period of maturing too I may prefer a more mature brew than some but i think a general rule is mature for a week for every 0.010 gravity points above 1.000 so with an OG of 1.070 your looking at a 7-8 week period of maturity, And while it may be difficult for you to maintain patience and keep your hands off the brew that long I do urge you to stash a few bottles to mature for a longer period so you can judge the difference it makes to a brew for yourself..

Perhaps a more standard kit with a 1040-1050 OG for the next brew, you can always embelish with a specific yeast strain for characteristics and perhaps an additional aroma hop addition in the FV ;)

BTW its always the problematic brews that stick in your mind and often result in good surprises too so dont be too disheartened.

It's now got to 1022 so a tiny bit of something going on

It's now got to 1022 so a tiny bit of something going on

What temp are you brewing at? First week at cooler temps, 20 degrees is great. After, 26 to 27 will get the yeast to awake again. But from 70 to 20, not bad. Just a juicy beer. The yeast starts to get stressed at higher alcohol levels.

22 degrees most of the time up to 24 yesterday and today. Just got myself a fridge, inkbird 308 and a heat belt is it worth moving it now considering its been on the go for five weeks already? I'm in no hurry to move it but the wife on the other hand....

Well, it's bottle time. Just going to have a good body on it. My final guess is under pitched yeast. There wasn't enough to complete the job. Most large beers need 2 packs of yeast.

I've bottled beers that stuck at 1020 (both times it was Woodford Wherry - a kit which is infamous for stalling). Never suffered from bottle bombs but I was careful to store them somewhere cold after the initial week in the warm for carbonating.

Latest posts

Back