Blow tie spunding valve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
How reliable are they?

Just used mine for the first time and seems a bit haphazard. I was hoping it would be set and forget.

Initially after pushing through some star san I pressured up to 20 psi then released pressure via spunding valve down to about 3 psi which is what I wanted to start at before increasing it after fermentation

After filling with wort I reattached the spunding valve and left. Next morning it was up over 10psi which surprised me so I released it more until it dropped back down to 2 or 3. Later that day in the evening I checked again and it was above 10 again so I just released it up completely and will leave until fermentation is complete.

So my question is how to people set their spunding valves? Is it not possible like a regulator to just set and forget?

It’s a blow tie type so would be especially interested in hearing from anyone with experience here.

I also use a blow tie spunding valve and my process is the same as yours. Pressurise a bottle over my required PSI, and via the spunding valve, reduce the pressure to the PSI i'm wanting for fermentation.

It is 100% set and forget, just got an IPA on at the moment that has been 12PSI without any intervention.

Maybe take it apart, clean it and retest.

Ok good to know it should work as I hoped. Not sure why it isn’t though! Will have to play around with it I guess.

I also use a blow tie spunding valve and my process is the same as yours. Pressurise a bottle over my required PSI, and via the spunding valve, reduce the pressure to the PSI i'm wanting for fermentation.

It is 100% set and forget, just got an IPA on at the moment that has been 12PSI without any intervention.

Maybe take it apart, clean it and retest.

have you ever tried at 5psi or lower? searching around i noticed on another thread saying they could be unreliable at low levels.

have you ever tried at 5psi or lower? searching around i noticed on another thread saying they could be unreliable at low levels.
I found that my one worked pretty well until I tried to set it at 3 psi recently. After a couple of mins, it was up around 10 psi. I put it down to a vigorous ferment and it not being able to manage the volume escaping. I swapped it out for a blow-off tube and then reattached after about 4 days. The psi reached about 12 after a week and I close transferred to a keg. Unfortunately this was not enough to carb the beer. Next time I will only use the blow-off tube for 2 days and set the blow-tie to whatever the required amount is for the style and temp.

I found that my one worked pretty well until I tried to set it at 3 psi recently. After a couple of mins, it was up around 10 psi. I put it down to a vigorous ferment and it not being able to manage the volume escaping. I swapped it out for a blow-off tube and then reattached after about 4 days. The psi reached about 12 after a week and I close transferred to a keg. Unfortunately this was not enough to carb the beer. Next time I will only use the blow-off tube for 2 days and set the blow-tie to whatever the required amount is for the style and temp.

very similar to my experience, sounds like it just does not work at low PSIs then, as it will be bit of a faff fixing a blow off tube to a keg i may just attach the spunding valve anyway and leave it fully open until active fermentation has finished.

It might get clogged up. What you want is a gas disconnect that has a push fitting (the larger opening will help with possible clogging), a length of tube and a hose clip/tie to keep it in place. If you have those things, zero faff involved.

Just have the regular grey disconnects, not sure is they are classed as a push fitting or not?

Push and screw are the only types I know of.

1617116944404.png

1617117044334.png

Those pics make it look like the openings are of a similar size. Perhaps they are. I just always thought the screw fitting ones looked smaller. I suppose you could use either. Just make sure the tubing inner diameter isn't too much bigger or the hose clip might struggle.

I have 2 of the mk1 blow tie spunding valves, touch wood I have yet to have any issues.Used them from 4 to 10 psi.

When I use the blow tie on a keg to slowly release pressure during closed transfer I take the gauge off.
Like any gauge you do Not want any liquid getting inside or it will be no good.

How reliable are they?

Just used mine for the first time and seems a bit haphazard. I was hoping it would be set and forget.

Initially after pushing through some star san I pressured up to 20 psi then released pressure via spunding valve down to about 3 psi which is what I wanted to start at before increasing it after fermentation

After filling with wort I reattached the spunding valve and left. Next morning it was up over 10psi which surprised me so I released it more until it dropped back down to 2 or 3. Later that day in the evening I checked again and it was above 10 again so I just released it up completely and will leave until fermentation is complete.

So my question is how to people set their spunding valves? Is it not possible like a regulator to just set and forget?

It’s a blow tie type so would be especially interested in hearing from anyone with experience here.
you didn't say which type you are using but in reality it shouldn't matter. You stated that you pushed through some starsan and i think this could be your problem. These are not really made to take liquid and this could bee gumming up the internals. I would suggest that you strip, clean and dry and reassemble and then try again

Those pics make it look like the openings are of a similar size. Perhaps they are. I just always thought the screw fitting ones looked smaller. I suppose you could use either. Just make sure the tubing inner diameter isn't too much bigger or the hose clip might struggle.

Think I’ve got both types but prefer barbed as I have tubing thats a perfect type fit so will go with that!

you didn't say which type you are using but in reality it shouldn't matter. You stated that you pushed through some starsan and i think this could be your problem. These are not really made to take liquid and this could bee gumming up the internals. I would suggest that you strip, clean and dry and reassemble and then try again

Just to clarify, I pushed starvsan through the keg then raised presure to 20psi. Only then I attached spunding valve and reduced presure until dial showed a steady three. I kept it at that setting at start of fermentation but it kept overshooting.

just found out that the spunding valve is one way, so absolutely no chance of oxygen coming in the other way. A such just open it up and its a perfect air lock. then up the pressure after fermentation to carb etc.

only issues is id i wanted to ferment an ale under a pressure at 5psi, as 10psi seems to be the minimum it can keep it down at.

Back