Bluebird AG#1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry Frisp, the main concern is to always keep the contents of the fermenter below 20c, sometimes it can rise quite a bit above the ambient temperature especially during the first 2 days but after that it's a breeze. Like Wez asked, do you have a hydrometer? If not just leave it alone for 10 days and it will be grand ;) I've never had an all grain not ferment out and i'm sure all the other members will tell you the same ;) Exciting stuff, innit?

yep I have a hydrometer but the ale is an a 30L fermenter with a 4 inch lid and Its only half full so I cant see the hydrometer to read it The plan was to let it sit for 14 days or so and rack it off bright into a cornie
Funnily the stir has put some life back in it. Im getting a bubble every 20s or so.

This isnt exciting its downright bloody scary I feel like one of those overprotective parents who run to the doctor every time the kids fart :grin:

It sounds like it's going to plan to me :cool:

Leaving 14 days is fine :)

just a thought and I seek guru advice here.
I think I had a fair lump of break make it through before the Hops filtered it out.
Will this have any adverse effect on the ale?
Should I rack the lot off into a spare fermenter when I think fermentation has stopped to help it sit off of the lees.
If I did this and I get steady hydromoter readings could I whip in some gelatine to help it clear for 10 days or so before I cornie it

i think i'd just treat it as a normal brew and rack once into cornie, add finings, and leave for 2 to three weeks, then do my little trick to suck the sediment out ;)

that little trick being, after a week, turn the flow of my tap to full, fill cornie to 20 PSI and pour a pint out as quickly as possible... then repeat a week later. this seems to drag up all the sediment that collects at the bottom instead of just what's under the dip tube. so if your keg get's knocked, you dont have to pour off sediment again ;)

I do it this way because I try to minimize the about of times i mess with the beer to minimise the chance of infection and oxidization.

you can of course rack to another container, add finings, and then rack the bright beer to corny.

the choice is ultimately yours though mate ;) everyone has their own system that's finely tuned to their tastes and preferences

Im going to rack it off this morning Its looking Ok in the fermenter It looks like it has dropped all the way down to something like 1004 or it could be 1002 but I cant get a good look at it. Its certainly stopped.
Im going to gently transfer it over to another fermenter and add glycerin and leave it another week before cornying.

Today is the day that me and big kenny become aquainted..... standby for a post later

De canted it.... Yep it tastes fresh . still a bit cloudy colour is nice. Its a bit hoppy for my liking but its still green soe another 3 or 4 weeks it should be very nice.
Im well happy the way she has turned out
:D

Woo hoo My first AG is Fecking tasty.
On the downside itis a bit hoppy but that is because I was aiming at 22L and ended up with 18L due to faux pas during the day
I poured half a pint off and it was crystal, I mean bloody crystal. It was magifying glass clear. Then like a **** I squeezed the dregs from the syphon tube into the glasss, not knowing I had picked up a few grains of crud ( lesson #53 from this brewday - stop being a tight Bstrd and sueeze every last drip out)
So here is the picture it has a slight haze from the crud pickup. Even so Im well pleased considering the 1st runnings looked like the colling mud from an oil rig drill head
Picture010.jpg
:D

Frisp - I wish all of my beers were that clear :D

Well done, that looks awesome :cheers:

All I did was let it ferment out. Decanted into a second fermenter and added a packet of Glycerin and let it sit a week. The Glycerin did leave a slimy deposit in fermenter #2 but it worked a treat. I shall definatley employ that technique again.

Its the weekend and Im about to have my first sesh on Bluebird...... wish me luck Im going in.... I may be gone some time.... dont follow me :drink: :drink: :drink: Oh thats nice
:drink: :drink: Oh yes

If it works for you that's great, i have been using it as a matter of course in secondary and not always with the desired result. Think i'm going to leave it out next time and see what happens.

That certainly looks great in the glass, far better than some of mine.

jb.

First pint gone and I have stopped noticing the over hopping.... could be promising.
I really do like the fact that it starts with a reall Malt flavour and I can taste the transition through to the bitterness of the hop. at the same time it has that thickness that I like about cask ale.
If this is bluebird. I cant wait to get my gob on #2.

Post subject: Re: Bluebird AG#1

Wez wrote:
How would you describe the difference between a kit and AG?

Earth shattering

I have to say its more than that, Its ying and yang, its chalk and cheese, its having a fly shag at that yon controtionist supermodel bird i. e infeckincredible :party:

Back