Bottle or king keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm about to make my first wherry and was wondering what the thought was on keg or bottle.:drink:

Advice please.:cheers:

Bottle is a faff, can be messy and time consuming but by heck it's a pretty sight when they're all laid out with their new caps on em.

Bottle is a faff, can be messy and time consuming but by heck it's a pretty sight when they're all laid out with their new caps on em.

Quality.:-D
Have you tried both bottle and keg? Reason I'm asking is I made a smugglers ale and kegged it, the taste is bang on but, I was disappointed in the carbination.

80g is fine for me but I don't like a high level of carbonation, it sounds like you do so bottles may be better. I mainly keg but bottle a few. The bottles tend to get left alone as I much prefer kegged beer. (I've got a few left to long) Having said that next brew will be a kolsch or American IPA and will get bottled as style should be more carbonated.

80g is fine for me but I don't like a high level of carbonation, it sounds like you do so bottles may be better. I mainly keg but bottle a few. The bottles tend to get left alone as I much prefer kegged beer. (I've got a few left to long) Having said that next brew will be a kolsch or American IPA and will get bottled as style should be more carbonated.

Hi honk.
Like I said its the first time I've tried the keg so was unsure of the priming quantity, (Maybe i need more for my liking). The ale itself is real tasty and I'll definitely do it again but, next time I'll bottle it.:cheers:

I prefer to bottle because it slows down my drinking and it’s easier to chuck a bottle in the fridge if I fancy a cold one

I prefer to bottle because it slows down my drinking and it’s easier to chuck a bottle in the fridge if I fancy a cold one

+1 on that.:thumb:
It's to easy to have a quick sniffter when it's kegged. Like every time you walk passed it!:drink:

Quality.:-D
Have you tried both bottle and keg? Reason I'm asking is I made a smugglers ale and kegged it, the taste is bang on but, I was disappointed in the carbination.

I used to bottle but now keg. But I only have corny and sanke kegs so don’t know too much about those king kegs. From what I can see is that the cap might have a way to add gas? If that’s the case then you can keep the gas on it at 20 psi for a day and that’ fix that. My rule is 5 grams per liter but I’ve heard that kegging you want to back off a bit so you’re probably on target. The gas issue might be a small leak at the upper pressure level. So under low pressure, the seals are fine but after going up a bit, the seals give out.

I used to bottle but now keg. But I only have corny and sanke kegs so don’t know too much about those king kegs. From what I can see is that the cap might have a way to add gas? If that’s the case then you can keep the gas on it at 20 psi for a day and that’ fix that. My rule is 5 grams per liter but I’ve heard that kegging you want to back off a bit so you’re probably on target. The gas issue might be a small leak at the upper pressure level. So under low pressure, the seals are fine but after going up a bit, the seals give out.

Thanks Japan brew.
I don't think there's any leaks as there's plenty of pressure, (1 inch of beer and 4 inches of head). So at the moment I haven't needed to add any pressure but I can try adding a little and see if it makes any difference.

Back