Bottle Storage Question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-J-M

Reaction score
Hi All!

So I've been lucky enough to make a new friend who runs/works in a brewery and he's kindly giving me his empty bottles, near enough every week. I now have nearly 300 empty 500ml brown glass bottles, all stacked neatly in milk crates, in the shed.

Annoying though, when it comes to bottling day, they are covered in dust, inside and out! I obviously rinse them and sterilise them etc, before use......but was wondering if anybody had tips for storage? Could I wrap the crates and bottles in a sheet of Clingfilm? are there any form or rubber bungs/caps I could use?

I'm just worried that by covering them, they may develop damp/mold inside, if they don't have air getting to them.

Any bottle storage tips would be greatly appreciated :)

I keep my bottles in collapsible crates on shelving in my garage. The bottles are given a good wash after use, drained and dried on the bottling tree, then put back in the crate with a piece of foil over the top to stop spiders/bugs crawling in.

I keep my bottles in collapsible crates on shelving in my garage. The bottles are given a good wash after use, drained and dried on the bottling tree, then put back in the crate with a piece of foil over the top to stop spiders/bugs crawling in.

FOIL! why haven't I thought of that lol thank you

Hi!
It all depends on the type of milk crate, but could you store your bottles upside-down?
One other point - I rinse bottles after use, but I don't clean them before storage. I give them a deep clean with Oxi powder or PBW just before I sanitise and fill them.

I rinse bottles after use, drain and put in a box in the kitchen. When the box is full, I clingfilm the whole box and more it to store.

If you're going to clean them anyway I wouldn't worry too much.

Latest posts

Back