Bottling day, quick question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakejoe30

Reaction score
I will be bottling my 30 bottle beaverdale Shiraz kit this evening.
I have acquired 30 bottles from wine my wife and I have been drinking the last couple of months or so.
After drinking the wine I have immediately rinsed with warm water. Will I need to clean them with a cleaning agent or can I just sanitize them and start bottling? Thanks

I'f they've been well rinsed out and left uncorked they should only require a sanitiser to be left in the bottle for ten minutes then pour and rinse. Give the bottles a sniff and if they smell musty then clean them first.

I do the same with my beer bottles; rinse several times with warm water as soon as they’re poured, dry, and then sanitise. Before being reused they’re sanitised again using Star San.

There’s a small chance that wine might have different needs. Few people empty a wine bottle in one go, which might give the contents a chance to mix with air and dry on the inside of the neck. Flushing with warm water is probably still enough, but it couldn’t hurt to slosh some PBW around in there either.

Looking back over the things I’ve learnt in the past year, one of the best investments has been a bottle washer along with a bottle tree for drying. Almost makes bottling day fun. ;)

I do the same with my beer bottles; rinse several times with warm water as soon as they’re poured, dry, and then sanitise. Before being reused they’re sanitised again using Star San.

There’s a small chance that wine might have different needs. Few people empty a wine bottle in one go, which might give the contents a chance to mix with air and dry on the inside of the neck. Flushing with warm water is probably still enough, but it couldn’t hurt to slosh some PBW around in there either.

Looking back over the things I’ve learnt in the past year, one of the best investments has been a bottle washer along with a bottle tree for drying. Almost makes bottling day fun. ;)
I'm bottling today and I'm dreading it lol I need a bottle washer and tree lol

Bottling wand and bottle washer are great. I have not invested in a bottle tree yet, but will some day. I did a Pinot Grigio wine kit 2 months ago. I asked my neighbors to donate their bottles after Christmas. I wanted cork bottles. All were red wine bottles. I washed them with a bottle brush in hot soapy water and rinsed them all out first, then using a funnel I filled them up to the neck with boiling hot water. This helped with melting the glue so as to allow me to peel the labels off. It also had the benefit of killing anything left behind. I then stored the bottles until bottling day. On bottling day I just sanitised the table and bottling equipment, corks, bottling wand etc. I put some kitchen toweling out on the table and using the bottle washer and Chem San I sanitised the bottles and left them standing upside down on the toweling to drip dry until ready for use. Good luck. Just take your time and make sure everything is clean.

Attachments

• EF80EE17-E122-455D-B573-0624E088555B.jpeg
    EF80EE17-E122-455D-B573-0624E088555B.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 4CCB53DC-F393-469B-8928-A1C81CC732C0.jpeg
    4CCB53DC-F393-469B-8928-A1C81CC732C0.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 45
I have not invested in a bottle tree yet, but will some day.

You won't regret it, massively useful device. Between bottling days mine is on stand-by in the utility room, ready to receive any bottles as soon as I rinse them. Not having a small puddle to leave residue in the bottom of each bottle makes them even quicker to clean on bottling day. This is approximately what I use:

6669-45-bottle-drying-tree-2_4fd51464-a9f5-48cf-b042-3b232f69727d_x700.jpg

You won't regret it, massively useful device. Between bottling days mine is on stand-by in the utility room, ready to receive any bottles as soon as I rinse them. Not having a small puddle to leave residue in the bottom of each bottle makes them even quicker to clean on bottling day. This is approximately what I use:

6669-45-bottle-drying-tree-2_4fd51464-a9f5-48cf-b042-3b232f69727d_x700.jpg
My Birthday is in May. I've already left some hints. :cool:

I pour hot water into the bottles the morning after stick my finger in the neck and give them a good shake I them put the screw caps on, on bottling day I add a quarter of a bottle of Milton sterelizer give them a shake wait 10 mins and shake again 5 mins later they are sanitised and you don't need to rinse.

Latest posts

Back