bourne again vanilla porter - 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ag#11

Going to try this brew again, hopefully on Thursday. I've changed the cocoa amounts and using vanilla extract at bottling instead of pods during the boil. Also upped the amount of oats and changed my boiloff rate on brewmate as I have been ending up with a lot more than predicted post boil and a lower gravity.
23l at 1.044, mashed at 68'c.
M/o 3.504kg
Crystal 0.350kg
Chocolate malt 0.301kg
Oats 0.500kg

Fwh 59g fuggles - might have slightly less so ill add styrian goldings to make up.
10min 18g fuggles
10min 180g bourneville cocoa powder

Vanilla extract added at bottling to taste.

Glucan rest
500g oats
100g m/o
1.5l water at 45'c and brought up to 68'c before going in the mash.

Gervin ale yeast rehydrated at 30'c.

Sounds interesting but personally I find it hard to imagine beer with vanilla and cocoa in it. :wha:

Brewday will commence once I've got the littlun to school.
I really like the chocolate stouts and think if I can get that part right adding vanilla to taste at bottling will go nicely together.

Mash is on, what a nightmare. Heated the glucan mash to 70'c before adding and under letting. Ended up at 64' so 4l extra has gone in and will have to do at 67'c mash.

All tucked up at 18'c in the fridge. Hit 1.044 bang on too, so it seems I'm closer with the boiloff change. Boilers still a bit slow draining so I think I need to alter the hop filter.
Some pics

Glucan mash

Ready for under letting

Tun drained

Running onto fwh

10min additions

Cocoa dissolve

Lovely sample

Messy finish

Latest posts

Back