Brew belt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to move it as required, I've not needed any heating as yet

Top! Middle! or Bottom!

550w_showbiz_bruce_forsyth_cards_1980.jpg

If it is the young's heating belt this was the suggested guidelines posted on another forum.

You need to be careful though it is easy to overheat using a belt.

---

You need to maintain the temperature between 20C and 24C for beer.

Moving the Belt up the vessel will lower the temperature and lowering the Belt will increase the temperature.
Below shows the height that the Belt should be at four different room/environment temperatures.

5C to 16C. 1.1/2ins from the bottom of your fermenter
16C to 20C. 4 from the bottom of your fermenter.
21C to 24C. Half way up the fermenter.

Temps over 24C - switch off the belt completely until the temp falls below 24C.

If it is the young's heating belt this was the suggested guidelines posted on another forum.

You need to be careful though it is easy to overheat using a belt.

---

You need to maintain the temperature between 20C and 24C for beer.

Moving the Belt up the vessel will lower the temperature and lowering the Belt will increase the temperature.
Below shows the height that the Belt should be at four different room/environment temperatures.

5C to 16C. 1.1/2ins from the bottom of your fermenter
16C to 20C. 4 from the bottom of your fermenter.
21C to 24C. Half way up the fermenter.

Temps over 24C - switch off the belt completely until the temp falls below 24C.

WHAT????
depending on the yeast but ideally the optimum temps for ale/beer fermenting is 16-20C any warmer and your risking off flavours
slightly warmer temps are ok when building up a population and at the end of the primary just to clear up the residual sugars, but avoid hot fermenting as
it will generate more fussel/phenols which can impact flavour and promote hangover/headaches..

If using a brewbelt consider using it in conjunction with a temperature controller like an stc1000 so it can be turned off automatically before it starts to overheat.

edit
as the fermentation is an exothermic process wrapping up the FV in an old sleeping bag may be all you need

Lengie10 I use a brew belt and I use it with a timer. I've set the timer to be on for an hour and off for an hour and a half. The lower on the FV you have the belt the hotter it will get and if left on continuously the FV will over heat. As the temps drop over the winter I leave the timer pattern the same but move the belt down a little to maintain the same temp in the FV. A digital thermometer helps (�£1.99 eBay) and when I next brew I'll put the FV's bubble wrap coat and hat on for the winter.

Hey hey hey I was just quoting what was said else where to help Lengie10 position the belt :wink:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17021

Always follow the temp guidelines for the Yeast or Recipe

wasnt having a pop at you.. but fermenting beers @ 24C isnt a very good idea imho and may well result in hangovers and misery.

afaik the only yeasts that you want to ferment @ that sort of temp are the industrial fuel yeasts that have names that begin with "turbo" and can tolerate alcohol levels above 20%

perhaps some wine yeasts too tho i know very little about wine making,,

always check the instructions on a kit or yeast pack/vial there should be a temp range published for the yeasts comfort zone, And i would always ferment at the lower end of that range for a good clean flavour result, im fortunate to have a brewfridge so can set a target temp and forget ;) and am usually fermenting ale/bitters @ 18-19C and due to the optimum temp primary generally completes in 4-5 days like clockwork when using S-04 and US-05

once it appears primary has completed i will raise the temp on occasion to 21-22C for a diactyl rest/clear up of the residuals before a crash cool to clear the beer and prep it for kegging

again sorry if you took it as an attack on you,

No problem didn't take it personally.

I was thinking "21C to 24C. Half way up the fermenter" that's just madness surly you would turn it off at those temps. :hmm:

Honestly, a timer and a digital thermometer sorts all this out, you can tweak the timings and the position of the heat band and get quite a precise temperature range. My brew at the moment has been between 19.5 and 21 for the last week.

I use the stc1000 as well to control my brew belt it just saves the hassle of temperature monitoring for the sake of £20 max if you can put the bits together yourself.

Back