Brew day at Sixteen Gallon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goffski

Reaction score
So these arrived two weeks ago and got the Lazy Days and the Founders DIPA on the day they arrived.

IMG_6565.jpg

Founders DIPA

This kits comes with a massive 6kg of malt and 180g of hop pellets. Hydrometer read 1080 at the start so definitely going to be a strong one.

Instructions say to add the hops on day 5, I've added them on day 10, hydrometer was showing just under 1020 so almost around the 8% mark. Not sure if this was the right thing to do but I'll soon find out. The little tester I had was very promising, a great tasting strong beer. Got a feeling this one will get better with age, won't be rushing on to this anyway, looks like it going to take some time to clear, looking very murky.

Lazy Days Tropical IPA

Again, got this on the day it arrived, lovely tropical smell to this from the off. Dry hopped this one on day 10, hydrometer's been at 1010 since about day 6, looks like this one's coming out way short of the 5.5% and more like 4.9%. Not over fussed by this as it smalls and tastes fantastic. Plan is to cold crash this one tomorrow, keg and try my hardest to resist until the warm weather.

Citra Wheat Beer

Plan is to get this one on the go as soon as the others are kegged. Want to get a few kegs ready for the summer, and so I don't forget what I've got kegged/on tap I've made a screensaver for the TV.

IMG_6598.jpg

Last edited:
The little tester I had was very promising, a great tasting strong beer. Got a feeling this one will get better with age,
I always think there's a trade off with these very hoppy beers in that they should, indeed, get better with age, but the hops' freshness will fade. I shoud aim to drink it as soon as it's ready rather than try to keep it for months. Others may disagree, of course.

I agree with AA on hoppy beers drink 2 weeks after kegging just enough for the initial rawness and bitterness to settle and before the hoppiness starts to dissipate

Thanks for the advice. So far all the brews I’ve done I’ve been too eager and started in them as soon as poss so no doubt this will be the same.

Latest posts

Back