Brew Fridge / Freezer question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a stupid question or not... Could you repurpose a freezer as a fermentation chamber with inkbird / heater set up as you would a fridge?

Have an opportunity to pick up a second hand one but wanted to check if there is a reason why everyone seems to use fridges not freezers...

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not... Could you repurpose a freezer as a fermentation chamber with inkbird / heater set up as you would a fridge?
Eh, yes. They are better than fridges for that purpose. Go for it!

+1, using a under counter sized freezer here and it works really well, only needs to run for about 5 minutes in an hour at peak fermentation to keep temperatures in check. It does overshoot a little on cooling, only about half a degree. It's not a problem and adding a fan should easily halve that if it's ever an issue.

I'll usually pitch at around 24 deg and bring it down to around 19-21 after the airlock starts bubbling, only takes around 20-30 minutes.

I tape the probe to the side of the fermenter without any insulation so there's not a big difference between air and liquid temperatures and it seems to work fine. I've never tried insulating the probe so can't say if it works better/worse.

only needs to run for about 5 minutes in an hour at peak fermentation to keep temperatures in check
Yep, Insulation is bigger and better on freezers so saves you money in the long run too... not that we're talking mega bucks here but everything counts!

Yep, freezer here, have heard they will cold crash you down to 0C more easily.

One thing that might throw a spanner in the works though, my freezer was a 1.4m tall one so I had to get creative with a miniature pipe bender as there were three shelves of pipes that extended out between the drawers. It worked fine but was a bit of a stressful operation!

I don’t think ’frost free’ freezers have this problem, but there is slightly less interior space due to the exchange and fans at the back.

My handy work!
20200619-162504.jpg

Make sure you get a freezer that doesn't have the cooling pipes in the shelves! Cooling pipes need to be either built into the walls, at the top, back or sides, so that you have enough space for your FV.

I use a chest freezer, no pipes to contend with, loads of space and if you get a big enough one you can fit more than one FV in there. Downside however is it makes it difficult to take a sample from the tap. That said I have just extended the top (removed the lid and replaced with wood) so I'm planning on raising the FV to alleviate that. Second chest freezer coming today for use as a kegerator

Chest freezers are great for dispensing, they are a pain to have to lift full kegs and fermenters in and out though!

Back