Making a Kegerator - should I use Fridge or Freezer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulcford

Reaction score
I am exploring options for making my own kegerator. I have looked at second hand fridges, and now I am thinking could I use a small chest freezer. It would appear that insulation on freezers is good and with a top opening the cold air would stay inside?

Does anyone have any advice please?

I have a refurb 12l Corny keg which needs 53cm H and 33cm D to take it.
Most under counter fridges wont hold it.

To be specific, I was asking for advice to help me choose whether to go fridge or freezer. I guess you say fridge, but you dont say why?

Depending on what you're serving, a fridge would have the added benefit of not necessarily needing an inkbird or similar to control the temperature, as they are designed to chill to ~3C

That is a good point, well made. I do have an Inkbird already so I am OK controlling the freezer. I did wonder which appliance would consume the most electricity, but have not looked into that yet.
Thank you.

I think they'd be much the same in terms of electricity usage.

Chest freezers are cheap, and you can put a collar on them to add vertical space. The main negative for them is lifting kegs in/out, and they're not designed to drain away condensate so you end up with a pool of water in the bottom that has to be mopped out occasionally.

Fridges are fine and don't get as wet, they can just be a bit fiddly to fit many kegs in them. You really need to measure them out to figure out what you can fit in, and the only modification you can make is to cut out the various shelf supports etc

Thank you. I have watched "how to make your own kegerator" videos on YouTube. It looks straight forward enough. As of now, I have not found an under counter fridge that can take my 12l refurb corny keg which need 53cm high and 33cm depth.

What about a Keezer -

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/timber-for-keezer-collar.89843/

1696436447849.png
1696436456638.png

I have not got the room for a Keezer, but they do look ideal. Apart from having to lift heavy kegs, gas bottles in and out.

However I see a bottom draw nestling up against a step at back (that's where the compressor sits on rear outside). This most probably means that internal width at bottom is not enough. Question is, is there still enough height if keg sits on that step shelf?

Not wishing to come across as argumentative but….it would be helpful if you could identify the maximum footprint for the fridge/freezer you have and also the headspace. You mention chest freezers that suggests plenty of headroom (lifting stuff in and out) and then refer to small undercounter fridge :?:.
For serving beer IMO you only need a fridge and an inkbird. My preference is a larder style fridge so there is plenty of height for both kegs and bottles if required.

You are probably correct. I will find a space where I can site a taller larder fridge. Thank you.

I have a tall smeg larder fridge that I got off ebay and it works really well. I can store 4 kegs in there, plus still have a shelf at the top of the fridge spare for bits all in the typical 600mm footprint. Although i made my own wooden shelf for the upper 2 kegs to sit on rather than use the original glass ones.
As I mounted the taps onto the side of the fridge I was able to keep the shelves in the door as well which gives me more space to store hops and other bits.

Warning though: If you drill into the side of fridges, be very very careful about potential cooling lines in there. drill slowly/softly until you are sure you aren't going to pierce any lines.

Latest posts

Back