brew fridge inkbird question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajt24

Reaction score
Hi have brought a second hand fridge which seems to get to cold, checked it this morning and the temp gauge i put in was at -2.2, i was wondering if I installed a inkbird and put a heater in it would this cure the issue of it getting to cold, as i could then use it as a brewing fridge rather than a normal one, and when nothing is fermenting just set it at 4 degrees and keep my bottles cold, or is this a silly idea.

Temperature of -2.2C? I think I know what the problem is - you've been sold a freezer!

But yeah, that seems to be what people do to build a brew fridge. Is what I hope to do with our old fridge when we do the kitchen next year. I already have an Inkbird which I use with my brewbelt and it's a cracking piece of kit!

haha, no defo a fridge dosen't seem to cut out, rather than chucking it away or getting it repaired i thought i could get the inkbird and make the most of it. So i would plug the fridge in to the inkbird then plug the heater into it and put in the fridge set the temp and it cycles through heat and cold to keep it at the temp? is that right?

Yeah that's right, but are you sure your gauge is right? If the fridge is going down to 2.2c I guess your heater will be doing a lot of work and it will be costing a lot to run in the long term

Yeah that's right, but are you sure your gauge is right? If the fridge is going down to 2.2c I guess your heater will be doing a lot of work and it will be costing a lot to run in the long term

Shouldn't do as the inkbird will switch the fridge off at the pre-set temperature.

Yup. One the new inkbird controllers with the two sockets. One for heat and one for cool. Heat = hair drier, cool = fridge plug. Temp probe in fridge (or freezer mick) Job done [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's one I installed yesterday. :thumb::thumb:

I use the Inkbird to control a 40W heater for heating and the fridge itself for cooling.

At the moment I'm carbonating (at 19 degrees) the Barley Wine I bottled this afternoon.

The fridge isn't plugged in because the chances of the garage getting above 19 degrees before Monday is zero! :whistle::whistle:

IMG_1409.jpg

Yes indeed you can, i 'fixed' the kitchen fridge that was freezing milk a few years ago by replacing the thermostat with an stc1000 type single relay controller..

the good thing about your fridge is that you will be able to crash chill at the end of primary @ 0-1C for max clarity ;)

normally its a feature of a heavily hacked fridge with its own thermostat bypassed that will allow this so win win ;)

Latest posts

Back