Brew Kettle sizing help (circa 100L)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a smaller kit, bit by bit. The most awkward to use at the moment is the kettle, which is 150L but quite narrow, and too tall (96cm) to easily screw in the heating elements/clean the bottom without pretty much getting inside it!

The question is, how small can I get away with? I tend to brew enough for 3 cornies, so I aim for 63L in the FV, which takes account of trub losses etc. This means I tend to have approx 85L in the kettle.

Would a 100L kettle (for the 85L boil) be big enough to not be constantly sloshing over the side?

I know I'll have to be more 'on it' when watching for boil over, but I can deal with that.

If anyone has any experience at/around these volumes, any info would be fantastic. PS, anyone want a 150L kettle?! 😁

Thanks
Chris

I have a 3 vessel system and the kettle is, I think, the 30gallon Blichman kettle (so about 113litres) which easily can accommodate 85 litres. My fermenter is 80 litres max capacity so have only scaled my sight glass upto 80 litres and have plenty of space remianing. Judging by the remaining space 100 litres could be accommodated...would be pretty close to the top, maybe 4 or 5 inches to spare so you wouldn't want too vigorous a boil. I guess if you did 30 min boils you'd need less wort in there due to lower boil off rate.

Thanks Scotty, I have just asked for a quote from Malt Miller for a Ss Brewtech 30gal pot with electric heating element conversion, so that does seem. To be a nice size for 85-90L boils with a bit of room to spare for spotting foam before boil overs! I think it's the way I'm going to go, albeit not the cheapest pot/element options. Stainless bling factor is strong with this one! 😂

Back