Brew Shed Project with shiny!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbowden

Regular.
Reaction score
Well the time has come to move on from my white plastic buckets,dodging rain showers on the patio and generally messing up the kitchen and realise my dream of a Brew Shed!! My mother recently came into a bit of money therefore she shared it out amongst me and my brother and sister. "i want you to enjoy the money while i'm around to see it!" she said - so only thing for it, Shiney and a shed!!!
Now i'm not one for diy and have no electrical skills etc so a lot of my build will have been purchased/sourced ready made - sorry chaps!
I started with the shiny

I bought my 70 litre mash tun from Bergland in Germany and by using a "how to" on here i replaced the tap with a ball valve - Hurrah! I could'nt get to grips with drilling through stainless etc. I then purchased my 100 lire HLT and Boiler from mrlard at homebrewbuilder. Crackin! Solar pumps where bought and put into their housings again from a "how to " on the forum. (blimey thats 2 DIY projects i've completed!!! :tongue:
Next, prepare the ground!!

Shed base next

I cant take any credit for doing those two jobs!
Next the 10x8 shed

Trench digging for electrics and water

(I did that!!!!)
Electrics will be going in tomorrow with plenty of sockets for the various elements and pumps. I'm bidding on a fridge on ebay for my fermentation fridge so will keep you all updated. I have had issues with infection from my cellar so i'm trying to keep everything in the shed until its kegged, and then it will go into the cellar :thumb:

Very nice indeed. Theres going to be some nice times in that shed I can tell.

:party: :party:

Defo good times ahead for you. And nice trench!
Hope your elec feed is sufficient for everything you'll be running on it mate or you might end up digging that thing twice! :thumb:

timbowden said:
Electrics went in today!!!!
It might just be the pedant in me . . . No It IS just the pedant in me . . . If I was custom building for a brewery my connections would be 16A commando sockets . . . or Switched fused spurs.

Nice panel though

looking good there.. Not thinking of using gravity at all then?

is that a solar pump encapsulated in the lil grey box. looks neat.

as a precaution against brewday absent mindedness, you dont want to be plugging 2 elements into the same dbl socket, so getting some of the childproof socket blanks to blank off the 2nd socket when u do plug in an element may be worthwhile thinking about? - excuse the inner nanny in me im having a wee session..

wise words, although the electrician who fitted all the sockets did'nt think twice about plugging in the elements side by side. :wha:

Tim,
Did the electrician put a small Consumer unit with an rcd in the shed?
I'm just a little concerned about the number of sockets on what appears to be a 2.5mm2 cable? Realistically you don't want to plug 2 elements into a double socket , 2x10amps?

Aleman is right , ideally you want 16amp 240v commando sockets,they aren't that expensive, you dont want to touch those standard sockets with wet/damp hands.

Now I'm not trying to **** on anyone's fires but as a fully qualified electrician I just want you to be safe.

Ideally for brewery installations the bigger your supply the better, as we are always expanding and you have to remember that winters coming so the circuit demand can be something like:
Lights & pumps & kettle elements & fridges etc. might not seem like much but soon puts a circuit under pressure.

Great shed by the way, keep safe all when using electrickery :cheers:

Latest posts

Back