Brewday 31/08/2010 SNPA ish

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
Today I am pushing the limits of my mash tun!

I have used the forum recipe tool to scale THIS recipe to a 42 litre batch size.
This gave me a total grain bill of 9.8kg at 78% efficiency and with a stiff mash of 2L/kg it only just fits :shock:

9026c306.jpg

Sparging is going to be fun :wha:

Nice one TS .. how is it going? I've ordered the gear for doing this next weekend .. made a couple of adjustments to the recipe after a conversation with Wez... be interesting to swap a couple of bottles to see the differences.

I'll post the altered recipe when I do the brew... but many thanks to you for pointing me toward the recipe. Took the old man for a pint of this (local pub has it on tap) at the weekend, he loved it!

Thanks Tony, brew is going well just about to add the protofloc and first Cascade addition.
Sparge was a bit on the slow side due to the depth of the grain bed, but I got 50l in the kettle and the run off was still over 1.010 :D
As you can see there wasn't much room to hold the sparge liquor above the grain bed
35a29a3e.jpg

oooh sounds familiar, I did an SNPAish beer a couple of months ago, lotsa mess sparging a very full mash tun. The ale was marvellous, I'm waiting for some more cascade to do another asap, they're lovely tasting hops. What yeast? I used, if I remember correctly, US-05.

Its definitely my fave new stuff from the 20 or so all grains I have done. Never thought I'd be praising US real ale, I'm sure many iother surprises are waiting out there for us all.

All done and dusted :D
A few more pictures

Good hot break, some big clumps of break material in there
8cfcf52e.jpg

Temperature down to 80C so in go the hot soak Cascades
100da5f0.jpg

First runnings dropping into the FV
ccefb4b2.jpg

Nice clear wort, maybe a little darker than the real deal?
5ac356cf.jpg

Original gravity 1.059 (corrected for temperature)
1aabbf10.jpg

Hopefully aerated enough?
38288dba.jpg

Filth :sick:
88bc6477.jpg

Lovely! How much wort did you lose to the hops TS? With all those soaking cascades it must be a fair bit?

Tony said:
Lovely! How much wort did you lose to the hops TS? With all those soaking cascades it must be a fair bit?
No not really maybe 3L?
I used Magnum pellets so no loss to those ;)

Nice brew day TS.. I have been watching with interest too .. as it's also my next brew in a weeks time!

Having had the reply back from the Brewery that they use the same yeast to mash and condition! I'm going to make a culture to use with my 25 Litres ;)

They also inform me that they use Perle Hops with Magnum
and cascade!!

I agree with Tony, as our Recipes are a bit different I think we should swap a bottle each :hmm: If you are up for that :whistle:

Great idea.... I'll have to put my brewday back a week to the weekend after next. I already have 2 FVs in secondary on the dining room table. If I suggested brewing this saturday I'd lose my nuts!

Grain, hops & yeast arrived this morning!

I'll pm my addy to you both.

Looking forward to this!
:drink:

Ref: Yeast, missed that bit in the recipe, USo5 then!
Cascades arrived here today, how do I get a brew past SWMBO? I'll at least start cleaning up, you've all aroused a thirst for SNPA.
pip pip!
moc
cornwall

love the pic with the stained glass, true art!

Looks very nice :thumb:

TS can you tell me where you got the magnum hops from, all the usual places I've ordered from don't seem to stock them

Sean_Mc said:
Looks very nice :thumb:

TS can you tell me where you got the magnum hops from, all the usual places I've ordered from don't seem to stock them

I got them from HERE
You pay your money and take your chances :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
[quote="Sean_Mc":2ecaq2ul]Looks very nice :thumb:

I got them from HERE
You pay your money and take your chances :thumb:[/quote:2ecaq2ul]

:hmm: Might be worth a punt, cheers

Latest posts

Back