Brewday!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
Morning all, I'll be bottling AG2 today, and then working my way through my stock of kits. I was a little bit over enthusiastic during the last Tesco and other sales and I currently have five kits to work my way through. I have Simply Stout and Yorkshire Bitter, John Bull IPA and Best Bitter and lastly a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown. I've got Beer enhancer for them all and I'll be adding 50g of honey and a hop tea, 30g boiled for 20 mins and then tea and hop bag added to the FV. I've got Saaz, Hallertau and Summer hops but I may have to mix and match a bit to make up the amounts and buy some more in the near future. As much as I'm itching to go galloping off to the dark side I have to work through these kits before I do. Saying that I can't complain about brewing kits, I've enjoyed brewing them all and I've certainly enjoyed drinking the beer I've brewed. Kit brewing is a great way to get into HB'ing and I've learned a lot over the 14 months I've been brewing kits but I now want to move onto starting from scratch with grain. I like the idea of having control over every ingredient in my beer and gauging what tweaks do and don't do for me. For my first half dozen AG's I want to concentrate on my technique and work on my efficiency and the best way to manage myy late addition hops, I'm liking what MQ's been saying about a separate hop tea and the adding the hops to the FV, this always worked well for me in my kit brewing. I think I will go back to do the odd kit now and again maybe with a partial mash maybe for nostalgic reasons. One thing I will say is that with a good kit bought in a sale you can bottle and get a next brew on in 4,5 hours and end up with a very nice beer paying no more than �£12-14. Right, enough waffling, waffling doesn't get them bottles washed, if you're not brewing today, I hope it's not too long until you are and if you are brewing today may the Beer Gods smile on you.

I think I will go back to do the odd kit now and again maybe with a partial mash maybe for nostalgic reasons. .

Everyone is different, but I said the same thing... I never have, maybe its because I enjoy the process and doing it, the hobby part and I also enjoy the finished product a lot better. But also getting the flavours and styles how I want and making that from bottom up.. Getting into yeasts aswell for various styles its just a much bigger world and your brewing world is your oyster.

Not an anti kit person, I did a few kits which we pretty good infact and for new HBers they are a great way for people to get in to them and you can still push the evelope with these. But I tried a few kit brews from my dad and FIL they were mostly John Bull and coopers if I was honest there just wan't any comparison.. Some were decent enough but others you would know they were home brew.. In fact If I do ever go back and do a kit I will unlikley go for John Bull kits!! My Dad is doing a festival IPA kit which I will be interesting in trying when done.

Latest posts

Back