Brewdog Planet Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFC

Reaction score
Hi, anybody got a Planet Pale recipe, or Brewdogish Pale Ale. Can’t find any trace in the DIY dog book.

I agree, but the original recipe is not in the book either.

Brewdog say:
Planet Pale is our new Headliner range 4.3% session-strength pale ale. This quaffable creation is laced with Columbus, Chinook and Citra hops for a sharp citrus aroma and piney notes that give way to mellow tropical fruits.

Clipboard01.gif

I'd have guessed it used Muntons Planet malt (new spring barley variety - replacing Propino), but above only mentions Pilsner malt.

Planet has a cereal-forward taste complemented with a mild nuttiness, imparted because of its slightly higher attenuation level. It has a lower ‘masking’ effect than either Venture or Maris Otter leading to an increase in the impact of aroma hops and yeast aromas. Care must be taken as this also means that any brewing errors are less easily covered.

Last edited:
Brewdog recipes session/regular including Citra:

#88 Hunter Foundation Pale Ale, APA, 5.4% IBU 35
#358 Hop Fiction, American pale ale 4.2% IBU 45
#360 Heist Monkey, American pale ale 5.4% IBU 45

IPAs
#231 Ace Of Citra, single hopped session IPA 4.5% IBU 40
#256 Vermont IPA 6.9% low bitterness IBU 35
#260 New England IPA 6.8% IBU 45, used Propino malt (now replaced by Planet).
#262 Vermont IPA V2 6.9% IBU 35
#264 Sesson Vermont IPA 4.8% IBU 25
#304 Karma Cloud, tropical IPA 6.5% IBU 50 fruit flavour just using hops
#320 King Of Eights, East coast IPA 7.4% IBU 20, single hopped
#329 Cybernaut, session IPA 4.5% IBU 20

#206 India Session Lager 4.4% IBU35
"BrewDog’s level of dry-hop to a beer formed with a baseline of 100% pilsner malt – and at under 4.5% ABV – gives you a style that flirts at the edges of several others. Think aromas of fresh cut grass, nettle, white grape, melon, tangerine - with similar flavours leading to a dry, bitter finish."

#206 sounds more like Plaet Ale, than any of their ale recipes!

I like sound of #304s flavour, but would scale back on the bitterness if I tried it.
A few of the IPAs, low strength & bitterness, look more like ales.

Last edited:
Back