Brewers Gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was planning a smash with First Gold however somehow got this mixed up with Brewers Gold which I understand is primarily used a bittering hop. I’m curious if any one has used it in a smash or if I’m better off abandoning the idea and just using it for a first addition and using Styrian Golding or Bramling Cross for aroma (both of which I have in the freezer).

I have used it as a sole hop in bitters and gave a marmalade taste if I remember, having said that my hops were the low alpha French leaf variety

I have used it as a sole hop in bitters and gave a marmalade taste if I remember, having said that my hops were the low alpha French leaf variety
Thanks Baron that said I thought it was First Gold that had the marmalade taste (as these where what I meant to order but ordered Brewers gold by mistake, what I get for placing my order after a couple of pints)

Just to re clarify mine was the French variety in leaf but it was deffo marmalade orangey but not in a strong overpowering way.
I Liked it anyway
Ps First Gold is my Fave hop for English ales etcathumb..

Just to re clarify mine was the French variety in leaf but it was deffo marmalade orangey but not in a strong overpowering way.
I Liked it anyway
Ps First Gold is my Fave hop for English ales etcathumb..
Thanks for clarifying hadn’t realised their was such a difference. I’m tempted to just go ahead and do a smash as it does seem the best way to really find out what a hop is like, as for First Gold, well I will just need to make sure I am sober next time I order as everything I’ve read about it suggests it should make a really nice beer.

Edit Just looked it up am now kind of tempted to see if I can get some of the French version of a Brewers gold as it seems lovely.

http://www.johnihaas.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Technical-datas-Brewers-Gold-Eng.pdf

Last edited:
Brewers Gold is a great all purpose hop and makes a great single hop beer.
That’s reassuring to hear as I said I got it mixed up with Firsr Gold somehow and a lot of the descriptions and specs very much seemed to suggest it as a pure bittering hop so nice to hear that it can work well in a SMASH (planning to keep it simple couple of kilo of Maris Otter with a 45 and 5 minute addition may also do a dry hop) And just see how it turns out.

That’s reassuring to hear as I said I got it mixed up with Firsr Gold somehow and a lot of the descriptions and specs very much seemed to suggest it as a pure bittering hop so nice to hear that it can work well in a SMASH (planning to keep it simple couple of kilo of Maris Otter with a 45 and 5 minute addition may also do a dry hop) And just see how it turns out.
The recipe for Crouch Vale Brewery's Brewers Gold was very popular a few years back. Supreme champion beer 2005.

https://crouchvale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Largebrewersgoldcbob.jpg

Old timers from my side of the pond might remember Pete's Wicked Ale (sold out of the business over a decade ago), which was not so much an American style beer but much more like an English-inspired cross between ESB and dark mild. They were very successful with this beer which used only Brewer's Gold hops for bittering and flavor. I have the recipe and have brewed it. People say this hop has a black-currant flavor, which is true. To my palate, I detect strawberry as much as the currant. Fruity, and maybe the slightest hint of cat or tomato leaves but that's barely noticeable in my experience. Very good hop IMO, I need to brew the Pete's Wicked again soon.

The recipe for Crouch Vale Brewery's Brewers Gold was very popular a few years back. Supreme champion beer 2005.

https://crouchvale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Largebrewersgoldcbob.jpg
Old timers from my side of the pond might remember Pete's Wicked Ale (sold out of the business over a decade ago), which was not so much an American style beer but much more like an English-inspired cross between ESB and dark mild. They were very successful with this beer which used only Brewer's Gold hops for bittering and flavor. I have the recipe and have brewed it. People say this hop has a black-currant flavor, which is true. To my palate, I detect strawberry as much as the currant. Fruity, and maybe the slightest hint of cat or tomato leaves but that's barely noticeable in my experience. Very good hop IMO, I need to brew the Pete's Wicked again soon.
Thanks both the impression I am getting is that really shouldn’t pay to much attention to hop spec sheets especially when they list a hop as for bittering rather than dual purpose. Might not have being what I meant to buy but I’ve had my share of decent beers by pure chance or accident so optimistic this will be one of them.

Thanks both the impression I am getting is that really shouldn’t pay to much attention to hop spec sheets especially when they list a hop as for bittering rather than dual purpose. Might not have being what I meant to buy but I’ve had my share of decent beers by pure chance or accident so optimistic this will be one of them.
Totally agree some of the descriptors of hops are way off the mark better to listen to a homebrewer who has used the hops.
I think you will like the Brewers Gold I used it as my only hop in my brew

Yes, that stuff is all old hat really, gone out the window.

Latest posts

Back