Brewery space disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Anna, I hope this gets sorted soon.

Having work done on your house is one of the most stressful things in life, massively more so with children and/or pets. Having the roof replaced while it's raining, that's sheer hell.

I think it's more the beer she's concerned about!

I feel your pain. Flat balcony roof (above the bedrooms) started to let water in just before Christmas. Total strip down and rebuild of the felt, insulation and decking in the balcony. Then just as that bill landed the boiler gave up the ghost. Currently having the bedrooms redecorated because of the water damage. Feel like I'm working for nothing sometimes 😂

Anna make sure you get full reimbursement for the damages caused including your boiler repair and any lost or damaged items inside the house. I'd also enquire on their liability insurance. As for the idiot who trashed your roof etc...that's not your problem. If he keeps his job someone else will suffer your fate. Perhaps they might keep him but just on the brush.
As for the swearing....Good on ya girl...let em have it! I'd have gone into "strangler" mode and got into trouble!

I think enough time has passed that I can give an update without feeling more stressed writing about it. So many things went wrong it would be farcical if it wasn’t so upsetting. The flat roof covered the garage including my brew space, a small corridor, a bedroom and a bathroom. Everything was wet and damaged, and the roofers weren’t replying to emails. Sadly I’d already paid quite a lot of money to them and they still haven’t cleared everything up yet. We agreed a settlement figure off the bill but I wish I hadn’t, the costs involved in putting things right would have been so much more. We ended up doing all the painting ourselves, which took ages as I had to squeeze it into the evenings, so working every day either in the hospital on shift or on the walls. The bathroom still isn’t sorted quite. The electrics have all been fixed though.

Sadly, more of my brew kit was damaged than expected and I’ve lost 4 fermenters and quite a bit of my grain got wet and had to be discarded. The fridges also ended up in quite a state but have come through with cleaning for the most part. It has though meant no brewing for a few months. I have learned a few things along the way, including that I over carbonated my lagers, since they poured far better with less foam after a few weeks of not being on CO2 pressure, and bizarrely had more ‘sparkle’ in the glass since they poured with less loss of carbonation. There are still bits of the roof we’re not happy with which will need addressing in the next few years, but I just can’t face (or afford) anything been done to them just now. I am dreading the winter, and have no confidence at all in the roof that is there now.

I am though planning a brew day this weekend, to try to put some of this behind us!

Private message Anna to get her views on the matter, there is a brew shed at stake here and damaged equipment
Oh please no need and honestly I’m ok. I wasn’t but I am now. It was difficult for a few weeks. As to replacing the equipment, I’m in the lucky position of being able to put a bit aside each month, and just before this all happened had stepped up to two 60 litre fermenters- second hand but not used by me till used to collect water flooding in from the roof. Those two have survived I think.

Thank you for the lovely and kind things said here, you’ve managed to cheer me up a bit today xx.

Sad to hear about that horror show Anna.
Try and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.
Re. the incompetent roofer asking, "how would you do it better? " and your very apposite retort.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wonder how he would react if he urgently found he needed your profession's services to his 'personal plumbing' and also ended up with serious leaks all over the place.
What would his response be to being asked, "well how would you have done it better?".?😲
I think sueing for professional misconduct would be top of his 'to do' list, and I hope you do not need to go that far to receive proper professional remedies to your woes.
I hope the brew day goes well.
All the best, and keep your pecker up. 👍🍻

Three words: small claims court
Also, get the local paper to send a reporter around.
I think this would be difficult as I'd need to demonstrate that what they have now completed is unsatisfactory and was below what was contracted for. What has now been finished is probably just adequate, but it took so long and so many attempts that I really have no confidence in it. There's also ponding on an area of the roof that I am anxious about as it doesn't drain properly. At a technical level since this evaporates within a 48 hour period if it doesn't drain means that it is adequate. Until we get through a winter I'm really not sure it will be ok, and telling if there's a problem may be difficult. I've purchased a damp meter to try and tell if there is a hidden moisture problem after it rains, and I used to check some of the water damaged areas to tell if they are ok or not. Theoretically I think I have 3 years to prosecute, so will see where we get to after next winter, by which time I might feel brave enough.
Does your house insurance have legal cover? If so, may be worth speaking to a solicitor and them sending a letter to try and get some redress for their failings.
I know I probably should but life is pretty full on for me, and I'm just not on for the hassle, time and expense of this.
Thank you both though, I do appreciate the sentiment.

Small claims..cost you about £50..or it used to..to register and get them to be made to respond.
Two people I worked with used it..one for a complete mess a flooring installer did...money back,and compensation.
Next was a car dealer who advertised 2 keys..which it never had. Spares cist £100's as it was a BMW which the dealer refused to obtain and were totally obstructive. Case won...ordered to supply key,pay compensation and court costs.
You'll win this easily.

Latest posts

Back