Brewfather IBU anomaly Gamma Ray Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliH

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone throw some light on this.

If I go to the library in Brewfather and import the Gamma Ray clone I get this.

Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 13.58.12.png

The IBU's coming out as 18. In the DIY Dog book all the hop additions and boil time etc are the same but the IBU is up at 45.

Is this a mistake in the DIY Dog recipe or is Brewfather doing something odd. I don't know what to trust?

Anyone got any ideas? Who's brewed it and did you change anything?

Cheers Oli

Last edited:
Why dont you copy the recipe into "Brewers Friend" on this forum and see if it changes - just an idea

I have just done a calc on Brewers Friend and it shows approx 27.5 IBU's for the dry hop you have input where as zero with the one you have used.
When added it is very close to the Brewdog figure

There is a lot of dispute in that dry hopping adds IBU's some say it does some not but it does add to the perceived bitterness and some use IBU additions as a a way of measuring it although false.
I do use the dry hop IBU addition used by Brewers Friend as a guide to the additional "Bittereness".
This thread will open a can of worms :laugh8:

There is a lot of dispute in that dry hopping adds IBU's some say it does some not but it does add to the perceived bitterness and some use IBU additions as a a way of measuring it although false.
I do use the dry hop IBU addition used by Brewers Friend as a guide to the additional "Bittereness".
Thanks for this. I had always thought the wort had to be over a certain temperature to bring out the bitterness of the hops and this was why Brewfather didn't add the IBU of dry hop additions.

Do you use Brewers Friend primarily? I used it for a while but switched to Brewfather perhaps I'll switch back if this is a problem with it.

Hi Baron do you have to put in the dry hop utilisation yourself? If so what percentage is about right?

Yes I always use Brewers Friend
First I’ve heard that dry hop gives IBUs. Not saying it doesn’t, just never heard that.
Hi Braumeister if you read my second reply it explains why they show IBU's and as I have said the dispute is whether it is IBU's or perceived bitterness but they use IBU's so that you have a way to measure the extra bitterness that is produced in dry hopping , notice I used the word perceived bitterness.
The consensus is that it is not IBU's that are added by most of the boffins but we as laymen need a way of guessing? how much bitterness is added.
Hope this helps

Yes I always use Brewers Friend

Hi Braumeister if you read my second reply it explains why they show IBU's and as I have said the dispute is whether it is IBU's or perceived bitterness but they use IBU's so that you have a way to measure the extra bitterness that is produced in dry hopping , notice I used the word perceived bitterness.
The consensus is that it is not IBU's that are added by most of the boffins but we as laymen need a way of guessing? how much bitterness is added.
Hope this helps
Yes thanks, I didn’t realise dry hopping increased the bitterness or perceived bitterness. My latest beer was dry hopped heavily and it is quite bitter but I thought it was just from hops I added in to the boil.

Some of these hazy NEIPA that are dry hopped massively aren’t bitter at all though, how is that possible if dry hopping creates some bitterness?

Hi Braumeister it is very hard to judge the perceived bitterness as from what I have read and this may sound stupid but if you dry hop a low IBU beer it increases the perceived bitterness more than dry hopping a higher IBU beer.
I try not to do heavy dry hopping anymore and pile my hops into a whirlpool to keep the IBU's down.
I too found out that large dry hops make a beer too bitter for my taste aswell
Hope this helps.
Ps read Scott Janish on dry hopping and you may get the idea that the boffins are on about

The IBU's coming out as 18. In the DIY Dog book all the hop additions and boil time etc are the same but the IBU is up at 45.

Is this a mistake in the DIY Dog recipe or is Brewfather doing something odd. I don't know what to trust?

Anyone got any ideas? Who's brewed it and did you change anything?

Cheers Oli
Both calculators are wrong. The 20-minute hop stand will add roughly 15-20 IBUs for a grand total closer to 30 IBUs.

Both calculators are wrong. The 20-minute hop stand will add roughly 15-20 IBUs for a grand total closer to 30 IBUs.
Yeah, I realised the hop stand wasn't taken into account, I added a 30 min hop stand at 85C which added 15 IBU think I'm going to go with it.....

I’ve got a recipe here that calls for a 0 minute hop addition. It gives me 0 IBU in Brewfather. But what does a 0 minute addition mean, how long do the hops need to be left there? Isn’t it like a whirlpool addition so will give IBU too?

I’ve got a recipe here that calls for a 0 minute hop addition. It gives me 0 IBU in Brewfather. But what does a 0 minute addition mean, how long do the hops need to be left there? Isn’t it like a whirlpool addition so will give IBU too?

Here is my Taylor formula for calculating 0-minute whirlpool / hop stand additions where temperature remains above roughly 65C for a time before fully chilling down.

IBU = grams * AA% * sqrt(2*HStime) / V / 1.5

where
V is post-boil volume in liters,
Boiltime is in minutes, and
HStime is post-boil hop stand time in minutes where it hangs around between about 65-90C.

You will likely find that you have way more than 0 IBUs. It is not uncommon to get around 30-50 IBUs from whirlpool additions, or more or less, of course depending on all the factors above.

Last edited:
****, I screwed up my conversion factor from USA units to SI units. The 1.5 should be a 7.5. Really sorry about that -- and I used to think I was kind of good at math!

I have brewed this beer twice and was unhappy with how both batches turned out. The hop additions to IBUs in the brewdog book are way off, if you ask me. But then so are a lot of IBU calculators. I've been having much better results using the SMPH calculator. Give it a go. Punch the numbers from the book into it and see what it says.

Latest posts

Back