Brewferm Oud Vlaams Bruin AND Brewferm kits in general

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Gents (and ladies),

few quick questions. Gunna start a Brewferm Oud Vlaams Bruin and just need to clarify a few things. I think some of these questions will apply to Brewferm kits in general and other kits:
1. Going to use combo of Golden Syrup and Muntons Dark Spray Malt. Kit advises 830g of sugar. Is Golden Syrup gram for gram same as brewing sugar? So was thinking of 500g muntons and 400-500g golden syrup

2. Kit requires yeast is disolved in 150ml of water at 25degrees. Not done this before, is it necessary for better dissolving I presume or can you just sprinkle on top in FV? If it is necessary how can you measure this 25degrees or is lukewarm from kettle sufficient?

3. Kit advises transfer to second FV to clarify for a week or 2 after about 10days . Again how necessary is this? If it is I will get second FV but Ive got concerns that bacteria will attack even with good sterilisation. Do you trasnfer to 2 FV before fermentaion is complete in first FV?
Thanks in advance :cheers:

Kimo

Haven't done a brewferm kit although they look good.

Firstly dried yeast generally do better if rehydrated in water rather than wort. Luke warm will be too hot, room temperature is more like it. Ideally you'd check it with a thermometer but failing that I'd use bottled that's been at room temp (I.e. not in the fridge or anywhere noticeabley warm) for a few hours.

As for racking to a 2nd fv some do, many don't. Personally I do as I find I get less sediment in the bottles. As long as you sanitise well it will be fine doing this after a week or so. Bacteria will struggle to grow due to the alcohol. This is probably recommend to speed up cleaning times.

If using golden syrup, you need to add 20% more than normal sugar. For Oud Vlamms Bouin, I normally chuck a whole 903g tin in. And no need for spray malt, it'll come out just fine with syrup, it's quite close to Candi Sugar that the Belgians use in their brewing.

Best to re-hydrate the yeast in a cup of water within 5C of wort temp, so starting off at 25C should be fine. Leave it a good 30-45mins in there is you can, then pitch it.

Haven't done a brewferm kit although they look good.

Firstly dried yeast generally do better if rehydrated in water rather than wort. Luke warm will be too hot, room temperature is more like it. Ideally you'd check it with a thermometer but failing that I'd use bottled that's been at room temp (I.e. not in the fridge or anywhere noticeabley warm) for a few hours.

As for racking to a 2nd fv some do, many don't. Personally I do as I find I get less sediment in the bottles. As long as you sanitise well it will be fine doing this after a week or so. Bacteria will struggle to grow due to the alcohol. This is probably recommend to speed up cleaning times.

danST
regarding leaving for longer in either original or second FV; once fermenting has stopped do you need to keep at same temp? I usually go for 20degrees during fermentation so would I need to maintain this for whole time even after fermentation has finished?

Kimosabby

HI, I have tended to rack into a 2nd fv and then leave it in a cold environment to help the particulates to drop out of suspension.

I tend to take my time leaving it to brew out for 3+ weeks then rack it off for 2-3 weeks before bottling. Results are good but it takes a bit of time.

Be patient once it is in the bottle. I would suggest leaving them for at least 6 weeks before drinking. They take a little time to mature in the bottle.

Hope you enjoy the results

Adrian

I've been doing ~2 weeks or so primary then another week/10 days secondary all at 18OC.

The above post by bowl sprayer is good, I haven't really got anywhere cool to batch condition things has he describes.

I've been doing ~2 weeks or so primary then another week/10 days secondary all at 18OC.

The above post by bowl sprayer is good, I haven't really got anywhere cool to batch condition things has he describes.

180c where do you live :lol:

I've got an active volcano out my back and ferment my brews with archea harvested from hydrothermal vents.....

It's meant to be a degree symbol, can't do superscript on my phone. Lol.

Lol

Back