Brewing syrup kit beer under pressure? Or other fast turnaround options...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rye

Reaction score
Hello.. I'm new to here, and fairly new to home brewing, though have my first BIAB ready to bottle tomorrow (a "Belgisk IPA 6.8%" bought here in Norway where I spend a week or two at a time and have a decent amount of space and equipment to brew).

My real issue is time as a full 14 day 20c ferment isn't always possible as I'd like to be able to bottle sometimes within 8-10 days before returning to the UK.

I've just tried a Mangrove Jack's Kveik which is now in bottles waiting to mature.. That was ready to bottle in 5 days at 5.8%! So an option for quick turnaround.

My question is, does it stack up to ferment say a Munston's West Coast IPA in a Fermzila at 20-30c to halve the time to around 7 days? Although I plan to do much more BIAB, I still need to keep the fridge full in between, and with the price of beer in Norway, doing some kits is pretty much a necessity :rolleyes:

Many thanks for any advice or experiences in emergency kit brewing at speed!

Fermentation does not have to be completely finished to bottle as long as your only a couple of points to high you could save a day or two and reduce the amount of priming sugar. Of course you have to be familiar with where your yeast stop first. Kviek always stops for me at 1.011 on my kit and recipe so i'd be ok with bottling at 1.013 ish

also you can find the abv tolerance of a yeast strain like mj bavarian is 8% so if you're happy to brew to that ceiling then when your about 7.5+ abv you know there's less risk of overcarbation as the yeast stop.

With either of these methods a pet bottle to monitor carbination is wise. as well as strong bottles used to handling higher carbonation. I cracked a few ale bottles at the start but none since I refined my knowlege of the yeast and switching over to weissbier and belgian beer bottles. I've filled over 4000 bottles and I think I had 4 or 5 tops crack. I've had 1 gusher and the rest of the batch was fine so must have not nuked that bottle fully.

Fermentation does not have to be completely finished to bottle as long as your only a couple of points to high you could save a day or two and reduce the amount of priming sugar. Of course you have to be familiar with where your yeast stop first. Kviek always stops for me at 1.011 on my kit and recipe so i'd be ok with bottling at 1.013 ish

also you can find the abv tolerance of a yeast strain like mj bavarian is 8% so if you're happy to brew to that ceiling then when your about 7.5+ abv you know there's less risk of overcarbation as the yeast stop.

With either of these methods a pet bottle to monitor carbination is wise. as well as strong bottles used to handling higher carbonation. I cracked a few ale bottles at the start but none since I refined my knowlege of the yeast and switching over to weissbier and belgian beer bottles. I've filled over 4000 bottles and I think I had 4 or 5 tops crack. I've had 1 gusher and the rest of the batch was fine so must have not nuked that bottle fully.
... many thanks for this, something to experiment with once I have the chance to put more brews on more often. My initial aim is to get the cellar well stocked for future visits so that I have regular supply to drink whilst trying out some alternatives.

Anyone using a Fermzila type setup with syrup kits? Fermantation times and temperatures?

Cheers again

Here are some ideas..

Look at yeast types. Some will be much quicker than other. I regularly bottle at day 7 or 8.

It also depends on strength. Lighter brews will get through quicker.

Kits take longer for some reason than AG.

Good Temp control help a huge ammount.

Try double pitching.

Latest posts

Back