Brewmaker Best of British IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowl sprayer said:
4th brew and at the end of the primary fermentation i was getting no aroma of anything other than malt. I bought Cascade hops from my LHBS and used two handfuls to dry hop when I racked it. No science involved. I guesstimate 50 grams as about 1/2 the 100 gram bag is left. Left it for 5 days before transferring to a keg.

I kegged it on Sunday 11th. The result is stunning! Very similar to a pint of London Pride i had on the weekend. Although still very young and yet to clear it has a fabulous aroma and hop flavour. I think without the dry hopping it would have been very malty and a bit lame on hops.

I will update with the end result in a few weeks.
Hi bowl sprayer
Excuse my ignorance but did you dry hop it whilst still in the fv and left for 5 days or rack into another fv and then to the barrel?

cheers

fatbloke :D

Hi fatbloke

I dry hopped after primary fermentation and once I had racked it off to settle and clear before I barrelled it. It was after I had racked it off that the lack of aroma really became evident. It was then I decided to do something about it.

For an IPA it was really lacking hops!

I hope that helps

Bowl sprayer said:
Hi fatbloke

I dry hopped after primary fermentation and once I had racked it off to settle and clear before I barrelled it. It was after I had racked it off that the lack of aroma really became evident. It was then I decided to do something about it.

For an IPA it was really lacking hops!

I hope that helps
yes thanks for that..i am a total novice but am intrigued by this dry hopping thang and love hoppy beer..did you use pellets or just dry?

cheers

fatbloke

Just used dry hops. People on this forum advise to add during the racking off stage. Varying amounts from 20 to 50 grams. I just guessed at it and has seemed to work. I think the kit produces a good base to start from. It has good balance in terms of malt and bitterness just rally no aroma/flavour. I am impressed with this trick of adding them dry. Apparently they are unlikely to infect the brew even though they have not been sterilised by boiling etc.

For good intense hoppy aroma and flavour go for it.

Cheers

Bowl sprayer

Bowl sprayer said:
Just used dry hops. People on this forum advise to add during the racking off stage. Varying amounts from 20 to 50 grams. I just guessed at it and has seemed to work. I think the kit produces a good base to start from. It has good balance in terms of malt and bitterness just rally no aroma/flavour. I am impressed with this trick of adding them dry. Apparently they are unlikely to infect the brew even though they have not been sterilised by boiling etc.

For good intense hoppy aroma and flavour go for it.

Cheers

Bowl sprayer
Thank you for that :D
cheers

fatbloke

Hi all i came in here thinking this was for the ipa 1 can kit brewmaker do as i made that a few year ago and thought it was a good drink for one of my first efforts, has anyone made the 1 can and 2 can kits and seen any difference between them?

Just drinking my first couple of pints of this.

Fermentation started 05-08-13
Racked into plastic keg 01-09-13
Picture 28-09-13
Verdict - Tasty!

BoB-Indiapaleale.jpg

I have this brew bottled in the shed, But am going to leave it for Christmas if I can. :nah:

Alan :cheers:

Remf said:
I have this brew bottled in the shed, But am going to leave it for Christmas if I can. :nah:

Yeah right,good luck with that :drink: :lol:

I have this in the FV right now, still quite lively, when it has settled down in a day or two I will add 50g hops. The first one I did, I made a hop tea, and that was overdoing it really on the bitterness. This time I just want the hop aroma.

Dusty said:
Remf said:

Must resist :whistle:

But you are probably right that it will be gone before then.

Update on this one, I must of screwed up with this one as it has a strong taste of TCP. :doh: Looks like I will be dumping it all down the drain. :cry:

Dusty said:
Remf said:

Made me laugh out loud ... brewer's patience ... an imaginary concept :lol:

europeanbob said:
I've just knocked the top off my first bottle of these. Not too impressed to be honest. Very dark and tastes more like a wherry than a pale ale. Only been in the bottle six weeks so I hope it improves.

Can anyone recommend a good two can pale? I like them quite hoppy.

The Festival Kits are really hoppy : Pilgrims Hope and Suffolk Strong Ale ... but I am not too keen on either of them but that could just be my very hard water affecting the hop extraction, hop profile.

I have brewed two of these previously and this was the last of those that I bought early last year from a Wilko Sale. Brewed it straight as per instructions and after two weeks decided to rack it to the bottling bucket. Check gravity reading just as I was racking off and found it was still at 1020, so stopped racking and rejoined what was already out back in with the rest. Stirred, moved to a warmer place and waited for another week. Still the same. So added new yeast and waited again for a week and re tested. It was going down so waited again for almost a week and then racked it off as it was now at 1012. Tasted good and I was pleased with myself for sorting this out. Bottled it and was going well but the last half an inch smelt like malt vinegar when I was trying to get the last drops out and now I am concerned that the whole batch is crud,

Latest posts

Back