Brewnight: Red grape/blackcurrant/elderberry WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah well that was a bit of a ****....

Pretty much as soon as I started racking, the cane got clogged with berries....

So I ended up using a bottling stick plugged into the tap on my fv.... which was fine until I got close to the berries, so I put my hand in with a tea strainer over the back of the tap which kept most of them out.

God knows how it'll turn out now, don't think I got too much air in it 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bottled it tonight, tastes pretty nice actually, worth the wee bit of hassle at racking stage 😀

52a0a9ae862a58a2deaab0b682a6dec0.jpg

Great posts thanks Roddy.

Going to try similar with fresh elderberries, any recipe changes you would suggest in hindsight ?

Just putting the berries in a muslin bag maybe, the loose ones I added floated to the top and clogged up my racking cane..

Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with it, certainly fruity tasting, with a decent depth of flavour 😀

Edited:

Going to try similar except with fresh elderberries : Seen a few different tedious methods. Liked the look of the boiling ones.

Bring berries to boil in some water and turn off
add sugar to dissolve
add a bit more water and allow to cool to room temp

Strain contents into FV via a sieve
Put what is in the sieve into a nylon straining bag / paint straining bag and strain over FV for 2 hours.
Give a wee squeeze at the end but don't get gropey.
Add RG and Syrup juices Water yeast etc

Hoping this will work !

BTW - used these. Wine is now made - too early to tell what it will be like - will give it a month and take a swig of it. It is currently sitting in the shed stabilised but not cleared.
20160928_091348.jpg

20161001_114809.jpg

So put 21L of this into silver bags and will leave for a minimum of 6 months.

Tastes like a mix of cherry syrup and Benelyn. Fairly hopeful it will change to something a lot nicer over time.

Camera lens is scratched to hell.

20161027_124659.jpg

Tastes like a mix of cherry syrup and Benelyn. Fairly hopeful it will change to something a lot nicer over time.

Camera lens is scratched to hell.

yummy haha :lol:

I have a simliar situation with some wows with lowicz cherry & a tin of youngs enricher, they are like Benelyn and unpleasant even after 8 months, have mixed a few with lemonade to drink.

Latest posts

Back