Brewzilla dead - burnt out socket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes plenty of sensors and electronic stuff arrived. Vacuum sealer, parts for strimmer and chainsaw. Seem reliable to me and when I had issue prompt refund
I ordered an esp microcontroller months ago. It got produced and shipped all the way from China to my doorstep for 42p. I don't understand how that's possible.

I use aliexpress lots for small, light, non-urgent bits and bobs, never an issue.. I don't quite get how I can get things all the way from China cheaper than buying locally.. often most things arrive in about 2-3 weeks

The sensor arrived a few days earlier than expected but on taking things apart to try and work out how to fit it I noticed this
IMG_20240218_120056.jpg

It seems the cause of the problem is my putting a screw through the wiring when I put the cover back on after replacing the power socket.

I suspect that a replacement will be cheapish and a lot easier to fit than the temperature sensor but I've no idea what to search for. I know the socket its connected to is a DIN socket but I don't know what the connector at the pcb end is called. Can anyone help with search terms please?

I'm guessing that I'll need to buy all three parts - din socket/ribbon wire/pcb connection - separately and connect them myself
IMG_20240218_120056.jpg

I most likely have some ribbon you can have foc and you can prolly pop the connectors off (they are normally snap fit).

Alternatively ribbon cable is remarkabley easy to fix with a stanley knife, soldering iron & a business card 😁

Pm me.

Thanks for all the replies but I've since discovered that the din socket will need soldering, which is something I can't do. My latest thinking is to cut the cable either side of the hole then reconnect it somehow. What do you suggest? Is it even possible to do this - in a normal situation you'd use the correct length of cable in the first place and wouldn't need to connect two separate cables together.

If it is possible, I suspect I'll need male and female connectors but will I also need some sort of tool to crimp them to the wire?

Thanks for all the replies but I've since discovered that the din socket will need soldering, which is something I can't do. My latest thinking is to cut the cable either side of the hole then reconnect it somehow. What do you suggest? Is it even possible to do this - in a normal situation you'd use the correct length of cable in the first place and wouldn't need to connect two separate cables together.

If it is possible, I suspect I'll need male and female connectors but will I also need some sort of tool to crimp them to the wire?
Can you share some images of the specific issues you have ?

I'd solder your connector, if you were nearby.
If you have a local facebook group, it could be worth asking for help there.

If there's a little slack in the ribbon cable, could cut it either side of hole, then reconnect using ribbon crimp IDC (insulation displacement connectors). First, just check that the cable is standard ribbon cable pitch, of 0.05 inch (or 0.4" across the eight wires).
The most readily available connector type (available in both plug and socket) are 'D type'. You'd want one 9 way D type ribbon IDC plug male, and one 9 way D type ribbon IDC socket female. Maybe £7 for both on tBay.
Theres a special tool for putting them on, but a small vice works fine. Squeeze, once the cable is in, and square on. Just be carefull, with cable being 8 way, and the connectors 9 way, that cable is at matching end on both connectors.
D connectors have metal bodies. So after repair they'd need insulating to make sure they can't short anything else out.

There looks to be just two conductors damaged, 3rd the temperature sensor and 4th the pump. If pump control is still working, wire 4 must just be holding on.
So another way would be to separate the damaged wire(s), by slicing between with a sharp knife, to give around 4cm of each damaged wire free, to either side, then strip 6mm of insulation from the ends (using Adjustable manual wire stripper). Use an in line lever connector to rejoin: 3 POLE IN LINE SPRING LEVER CONNECTOR (you'd only be using 2 of the 3 ways). Lift lever, put wire right in, close lever. If wire doesn't pull out, it's connected.

Parts of the power board, or controller board circuits, may have been damaged from short circuit via screw, but repair's still worth trying.

Last edited:
I'd solder your connector, if you were nearby.
If you have a local facebook group, it could be worth asking for help there.

If there's a little slack in the ribbon cable, could cut it either side of hole, then reconnect using ribbon crimp IDC (insulation displacement connectors). First, just check that the cable is standard ribbon cable pitch, of 0.05 inch (or 0.4" across the eight wires).
The most readily available connector type (available in both plug and socket) are 'D type'. You'd want one 9 way D type ribbon IDC plug male, and one 9 way D type ribbon IDC socket female. Maybe £7 for both on tBay.
Theres a special tool for putting them on, but a small vice works fine. Squeeze, once the cable is in, and square on. Just be carefull, with cable being 8 way, and the connectors 9 way, that cable is at matching end on both connectors.
D connectors have metal bodies. So after repair they'd need insulating to make sure they can't short anything else out.

There looks to be just two conductors damaged, 3rd the temperature sensor and 4th the pump. If pump control is still working, wire 4 must just be holding on.
So another way would be to separate the damaged wire(s), by slicing between with a sharp knife, to give around 4cm of each damaged wire free, to either side, then strip 6mm of insulation from the ends (using Adjustable manual wire stripper). Use an in line lever connector to rejoin: 3 POLE IN LINE SPRING LEVER CONNECTOR (you'd only be using 2 of the 3 ways). Lift lever, put wire right in, close lever. If wire doesn't pull out, it's connected.

Parts of the power board, or controller board circuits, may have been damaged from short circuit via screw, but repair's still worth trying.
Thanks for the detailed reply, which is exactly the sort of thing I was wanting. There is indeed a little slack in the cable and I had come to the same conclusion that you have - cut the cable either side of the hole and rejoin. Fortunately though someone has offered to do it for me, and given the lack of confidence I have in my ability to do this sort of thing (approx 60% success rate attaching rj45s to cat-5) , I've taken them up on the offer

Back