Brewzilla Gen 4 advice and experiences

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sim, você está absolutamente certo, mas se você não adicionar 2,5L aos seus cálculos, seu volume total de água do mosto será 2,5L a menos e você terá um mosto muito espesso (porque o grão está acima de 2,5L do líquido ) Talvez não seja grande coisa para você, mas atualmente estou usando um sistema com 10L de espaço morto mash tun e não conseguiria nem cobrir o grão se o deixasse fora do perfil.
Acho que David Heath tem um VÍDEO NO YOU TUBE explicando as configurações do Brewfather para o seu sistema
thanks

Brewzilla gen 4 ...One question: is it possible to mashing without recirculation?...recirculate/clarify after 60 min..and mashout...would it avoid clogging of the pump....does the wort caramelize?

Yes you can mash like that but then you might as well do biab, i always recirculate and have never had a blocked pump but i only brew bitters and pale ales
Thank you...my concern was caramelizing the must...I don't intend to BIAB for now...could you explain your mashing

With my gen 4 I have not yet blocked the pump (but just 3 brews in so far) Ive been doing a gentle recirculate mindful of Hot-Side Aeration (HSA) with the heat exchange plate fitted the feet could mark the bottom of the boiler it could be at the boil stage that caramelizing might happen, always worth giving things a try

Last edited:
Good morning ...Is the heat exchanger plate necessary really?......Also does it help retain the hot trub hops ?

The heat exchanger attaches to the false bottom, and corrects the temp problems (over/undershoots) caused by the probe being in the wrong place.

The false bottom helps retain the hops + trub.

Hope that helps.

The heat exchanger attaches to the false bottom, and corrects the temp problems (over/undershoots) caused by the probe being in the wrong place.

The false bottom helps retain the hops + trub.

Hope that helps.
Thanks ... Yes....but heat exchanger also helps to retain the hops?....That's what I want to know.....

I wouldn't say so, the heat exchanger goes under the false bottom which has a tighter fit to the sides of the Brewzilla, any hops that manage to make it through the false bottom will also make it through the heat exchanger

As I don't use whole hops can't comment on their progress through the false bottom but one benefit of the heat exchanger is it does catch a lot of the protein that sneaks through the false bottom from the hot/cold break

Brewzilla gen 4 ...One question: is it possible to mashing without recirculation?...recirculate/clarify after 60 min..and mashout...would it avoid clogging of the pump....does the wort caramelize?
Yes, you can, but what one has to understand is the heat diffusion in a grain bed. Left static will take hours to equalise. Stirring the grain bed constantly will get all the grain to the set mash temperature, and stirring it constantly will keep it there.
It would be ideal if we could dough in and the thermal energy equalised immediately throughout the grain, unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Doughing in higher to allow for the grain temperature is all well and good, as long as one is doughing in slowly while keeping a close eye on the temperature. Mistakes made in dough in, and mashing temperatures lead to denatured Beta Amylase and a lower fermentability of the wort.
Stirring will also prevent a stuck mash, if using an adjunct like flaked corn, oats, and barley I stir constantly for 20 to 30 minutes until the starch has broken down.
So what does the pump and recirculation of the wort do? Nowhere near as much as stirring as far as the heat diffusion process of the mash is concerned, but as its name suggests recirculate the brewing liquor.

Last edited:
Yes, you can, but what one has to understand is the heat diffusion in a grain bed. Left static will take hours to equalise. Stirring the grain bed constantly will get all the grain to the set mash temperature, and stirring it constantly will keep it there.
It would be ideal if we could dough in and the thermal energy equalised immediately throughout the grain, unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Doughing in higher to allow for the grain temperature is all well and good, as long as one is doughing in slowly while keeping a close eye on the temperature. Mistakes made in dough in, and mashing temperatures lead to denatured Beta Amylase and a lower fermentability of the wort.
Stirring will also prevent a stuck mash, if using an adjunct like flaked corn, oats, and barley I stir constantly for 20 to 30 minutes until the starch has broken down.
So what does the pump and recirculation of the wort do? Nowhere near as much as stirring as far as the heat diffusion process of the mash is concerned, but as its name suggests recirculate the brewing liquor.
thanks

At Brewzilla gen 4... you do the whirlpool movement. ?.. I've heard from people who don't do it... is it right not to do it ?

What's everybody's technique for sparging with the BZ4? I've just bought one myself and have been learning how to brew with it, compared to my old BIAB method with a peco boiler. My old method didn't involve any sparging. I would just lift the bag out and squeeze as much as I can.

I can now use my peco boiler to heat up my sparge water. I'm wondering if I should then just stick to batch sparging with a jug, or if I get some sort of sparging arm or pipe and have the peco boiler elevated above the BrewZilla, and fly sparge.

I have the 3.1.1 and sparge with a jug , works fine. Big Banana has a brewzilla pumping across to the top of a grain father with a pizza tray and tin foil to sparg. Depends how complicated you want to make it.

Latest posts

Back