Briess' dried malt extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brew from extract, and I have been very happy with liquid extract from Muntons, Brupaks and Briess. (The latter come in a wider range than the others). Last week, I was taken on a visit to the Hamstead Brewing Centre (Great Barr, Birmingham) and discovered that they also offer Briess’ dried malt extracts (DMEs). I have not come across the dried version from other retailers or websites in this country, so that was a first. Not only that, but I also found out that certain of the DMEs are produced in a different way. I quote from packets:

Due to the latest drying equipment this malt is free flowing and will not suck moisture out of the air like traditional spray malt does, and dissolves in just a couple of stirs. Meaning that it is easier and better for the customer in every aspect. Pour it out and without it sticking to the bag mix it without it going into a big clump and be able to open a bag and handle it without it going instantly sticky. Packed in foil bags for freshness in 500gm.

Hamstead further comment as follows:

The dried super malt is a new range that is again we feel of a higher quality than traditional brands and is also processed by the latest new technology drying plant which means that we are able to have it more crystalline so it is much less hygroscopic and much more free flowing so unlike a spray dried extract will not suck moisture out of the air, meaning it is far easier to pour, mix, dissolve and generally use especially for priming.

I think that we can agree that DMEs produced in the traditional way are rather tricky to handle, so I expect the new kid on the block to do very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back