What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live without it ?

If not, I've stuck my arm into a brew before (the tap was loose on the fermenter) and all was OK. Washed my arm in ChemSan first.
It was a low hopped Belgian. So not the end of the world. I used a spider and then a whirlpool. Pump seemed fine.

Now safely in the fermenter.
(Sample taken from the murky dregs - main wort was clear)
1000012894.jpg

****. I've only just realised I never emptied out the sanitizer from the fermenter.

And the beers fermenting in it now.
Oh well, only about half a litre went in. It'll just be a little sour 😢

Brewed early doors today mashing in at 05.45, AG kit from Ben & Fenton the Youtube Tankard Brewing boys from Leeds their first AG kit A summer Golden Ale £15 + postage
all went well no issues apart from knocking over my pre boil sample jar whilst cooling, it was reading 1030 ish but was maybe 35/40 c at the time 22 ltrs into the fermenter @1042 with CML yeast four. I recon they could still have a few kits left
20240429_071046.jpg

Batch #49 Olicana pale ale 18L

BIAB no sparge
Total water 24L
ABV 5.3%
OG 1.052
FG 1.012
EBC 14.4
IBU 40
BU/GU .77

Crisp Plumage Archer 4.5kg
Amber 200gm
Light Crystal 125gm

Olicana 15gm 60 mins
Olicana 10gm 30 mins
Olicana 30gm 5 mins
Olicana 45gm 80c hopstand 30 mins

MJ 36 Liberty Bell

Brewing this in the style of an APA, may add a dry hop with either Cascade or
El Dorado.

OG and volume on the money, Liberty Bell has gone off like the clappers !

Bonus brew day then.
I had a feeling this might have happened.

After I dry hopped the beer, as I was bottling it, I noticed that the hops sat on the top had not only dried, but had a hint of mould.

But it smelt absolutely fine.

Turns out, because it was an overly hoppy beer, it masked the mould. 10 days after bottling, I thought I'd give one a go tonight just to see if it had turned out OK - no expectation of it being great.

Smelt great, lovely head.

Tasted absolutely revolting. All I can taste is mould.

We go again!

Have been meaning to try voss at a lower temp for a pesudo lager to see how it works. Brewed a small pilsner loaded with saazs hops to see if they carry through. It's sitting at 20c and let it build itself up to 12psi and will hold it there with the spunding valve. Was bubbling away after 4 hours. First time doing a 18l batch in my keggle, always do 46/47l. It was a boil in no time, will be doing more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240504_101448_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_101448_Brewfather.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
Have been meaning to try voss at a lower temp for a pesudo lager to see how it works. Brewed a small pilsner loaded with saazs hops to see if they carry through. It's sitting at 20c and let it build itself up to 12psi and will hold it there with the spunding valve. Was bubbling away after 4 hours. First time doing a 18l batch in my keggle, always do 46/47l. It was a boil in no time, will be doing more.

There's a lot to be said for small batches.

So another go at my light NEIPA.
I had to water it down somewhat as I ended up with 18 litres which was over 1.050. Knowing this will drop to 1.008, that's not really what I had in mind as a session beer.

I'm now just short of 20 litres at 1.046. That'll come in around 5%. Still a bit strong, but so be it.

It was suggested to me that it might be an idea to cold crash after I dry hop - after all, the Verdant will be done by Tuesday. I'll do that and bottle next weekend.

Thing is, I'm getting a bit tight for beer at the moment. I've got some Saison left, but well, it's a saison which is what the wife likes, but I didn't get the water right, so it's got the homebrew twang.

Just bottled a Simply Pale Ale. Brewed with a kilo of brewing sugar and 250 grams Demerara.

Put on a Simply bitter, with 1 kilo brewing sugar and 100grams Demerara.

Both 23L.

That's my fifth brew for this year.

Only my 2nd brew of 2024.... life too busy and trying to drink a bit less too.

Anyway... 20L in the bucket and all more or less to plan.

"Putaruru Pale"

2.8kg Bestmalz Pale
1.6kg Vienna
250g Torrified Wheat
200g Dextrin

Magnum to bitter. Nelson Sauvin and Motueka for the aroma hops.

WHC LAX yeast

OG: 1052 (was aiming for 1051)
48 IBU

Let's see how it goes.

Today I brewed my fiftieth all grain batch, a single hop Nugget Cali Common.

Batch #50
Golden Nugget Cali Common 18L
Total water 23.75L
ABV 5.1%
OG 1.051
FG 1.012
EBC 22.5
IBU 40

3.9kg Crisp Organic Extra Pale
225gm Crisp Light Munich
170gm Crisp Dark Crystal
150gm Crisp Light Crystal

10gm Nugget 60mins
5gm Nugget 30mins
10gm Nugget 5mins

30gm Nugget hopstand @80c 30mins

MJ54 pitched at 19c

OG up a few points at 1.054

British Golden Ale
Harlequin, Jester and Olicana Hops

Golden Promise, Carapils and Wheat Malt with a bit of Clear Choice as I was short on GP..

OG - 1.046
FG - 1.011
EBC - 7.3
IBU - 36
ABV - 4.6%

All went pretty smoothly and 23 litres of clear bright wort into the fermentor.

DE83A19B-08A6-4FBA-AE23-720086D02B2B.jpeg
E00343E9-556D-41D9-B250-895F7C0CF723.jpeg

Last edited:
So another go at my light NEIPA.
I had to water it down somewhat as I ended up with 18 litres which was over 1.050. Knowing this will drop to 1.008, that's not really what I had in mind as a session beer.

I'm now just short of 20 litres at 1.046. That'll come in around 5%. Still a bit strong, but so be it.

It was suggested to me that it might be an idea to cold crash after I dry hop - after all, the Verdant will be done by Tuesday. I'll do that and bottle next weekend.

Thing is, I'm getting a bit tight for beer at the moment. I've got some Saison left, but well, it's a saison which is what the wife likes, but I didn't get the water right, so it's got the homebrew twang.
If I’m not too late you could cold crash before you dry hop. Strangely the extraction happens faster at cold temps.

Latest posts

Back