Broken boiler element mid-brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian_r

Brewing Numpty
Reaction score
So whilst making a batch today all was going well.

Using the Home Brew Company BIAB starter kit.

All was going well, the mash had finished, boiler topped up to around 30 litres and turned back on to boil but after a while I realised the wort wasn't coming up to the boil and was stuck around 70 degrees. Turns out the heater element wasn't working. A wiggle of the lead gave a brief blast of power but it stopped after a few seconds.

This equipment was only purchased in December and this is only my 7th batch of beer. I'll be on to the store tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I've got 30 litres of wort sat in two FVs that has reached 70 degrees. Will this be salvageable once I get a new element or is it going to end up down the drain?

Have you got any large pots?

If so I would finish the boil on the stove top.

Is there any pots and pans you could salvage it by boiling it on your kitchen top? (you could even do back to back boils if need be)

One thing.. do you clean the element??? you could try moving all the wort into the FV clean your element really well then add the wort back and try boiling

My HBC had the same problem with my first brew, dodgy connection, it needed to be in a funny position to work. Shane replaced it no questions asked

Problem solved (hopefully).

Cleaned the boiler and given the element a good clean with a mix of water and white vinegar (boiled, cooled then rinsed).

I'm not convinced the furry element was the cause though, does seem to be a loose connection. Enough wiggling seems to get things going.

Will resurrect this brew tonight. Hadn't got the wort to a boil so no hops had been added so hopefully will be OK.

I know it's not always easy but I tend to have 2 elements in ALL of my pots for this reason. Highly unlikely that both will pack in at the same time and can keep the brew going. Maybe an idea to prevent this in the future, also speeds up the boil!

Spoke to soon. Managed to get the wort to just over 80 degrees before the element failed again.

Back in the FVs with the wort and I've emailed HBC to see if they will replace it.

Hopefully as I haven't managed to get the wort boiling or added any hops it will be OK.

Spoke to soon. Managed to get the wort to just over 80 degrees before the element failed again.

Back in the FVs with the wort and I've emailed HBC to see if they will replace it.

Hopefully as I haven't managed to get the wort boiling or added any hops it will be OK.

Not sure I'd use that wort again to be honest. I think bacteria grows around 50c and will sour it, which no amount of boiling will remove. Why not ask HBC to replace the grain you used too? If you explained what happened, it's not out of the question.

Yeah Id sling it.. for the sake of a few quid on grain I wouldn't risk the wort being sat around for days then add hops in and time and effort and then it still be wrong.. I would cut my losses on that..sorry :(

The wort has been poured down the drain - absolutely stank.

I had enough of a battle getting HBC to replace the element (which I'm told has been posted) never mind replace the grain. Not a company I'll ever be ordering from again.

Back