Burnt Caramel Aroma á la Day of the Dead Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

Reaction score
If anyone is unfamiliar with the Day of the Dead Mexican beer range I implore you to sample them, they are awesome!

On to my question; the amber ale has an incredibly powerful burnt caramel aroma, would I be correct in assuming this would come from a dark caramel malt? I've used cara malts before but never encountered anything quite like this, it is utterly spectacular.

If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the Day of the Dead Mexican beer range I implore you to sample them, they are awesome!

On to my question; the amber ale has an incredibly powerful burnt caramel aroma, would I be correct in assuming this would come from a dark caramel malt? I've used cara malts before but never encountered anything quite like this, it is utterly spectacular.

If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.

lighter crystal malt has a more caramel flavour whereas darker crystal has a more toffee flavour. Never tried th DotD beer though. Is it some sort of cerveza?

I think it's an American style amber ale (judging by the hop profile anyway). But that aroma! SWMBO was looking at me like a crazy person the way I was going on about it. Sounds like darker crystal malts may be the way to go.

Latest posts

Back