CalyPA Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRXnMe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, my first AG for absolutely ages due to the lovely hot weather :)

5.5kg Pale Malt
0.75 kg 145 EBC crystal
0.1 kg wheat malt (I'm out of torrified)
31g of Calypso Hops at 60 minutes
20g of Calypso at 10 minutes
20g of Calypso at flame out

Safale T58 yeast will be pitched at around 24 degrees (the wort will drop to 18 overnight and ferment at 20)

So far I missed mash temperature by 0.5 degrees :D Not bad for me, I'm often out by 2 or 3 degrees and frantically adding hot or cold water.

There are 45 minutes of mash left to run, then I'll sparge with 10 litres for 20 minutes, followed by a fly sparge which I'll run until the wort drops to around 1.010 on the hydrometer.

I'm hoping for around 30 litres of wort at 1.050 to 1.055, with an ABV of between 5 and 5.5 when the yeasties have done :)

Apologies for delayed photos, but here they are :)

HLT on, heating up the water for mash and sparge :) The mash tun has a kettle of boiling water in it to preheat it a bit and help hold mash temperature :)

I've had enough of trying to lift close to 45 kilos of hot wort and boiler offf the floor and onto the hob for boiling, so now I fill this bucket up and just lift a 5 kilo load of hot wort :)

Thar she boils me boyos :)

Having had a few stuck brews, as in stucck in my boiler due to clockage of the filter I noticed that most folk have the boiler piped up to the fermenter, not only does this stop the wort splashing all over SWMBO's kitchen units, but the syphon effect stops the filter clogging up :)

The brew took some time to get going and only fermented for 48 hours, so I'll be leaving it until Saturday and take a gravity reading, if it's a bit high I'll give the FV a rattle and leave it another week, but going by the airlock activity it's probably fermented out and ready for bottling already :)

Latest posts

Back