camlock fittings help.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshguzzler

Reaction score
Hi guys, right, on my vessels i have a short 15mm copper spout, looking into getting a pump up and running and using the silicone tubing, but here is where im stumped. Can anybody tell me what camlock parts i need to connect from the 15mm copper to the (i presume) 1/2" silicone tubing. Am i making sense here?? Im just confused with all the different parts :? :? :? .

You'd need a compression cam lock fitting to get onto 15mm tube and I've not seen them.
Do you have to use the copper tube?
There is a fitting you can use...hold on..I'll do a search :hmm:

I use a camlock female with hose tail.
Then a camlock male with 1/2 female thread, fit this to the pipe with a 1/2 inch compression x 1/2 male thread.
Think I got my biology right, :?
S
I went cheap skate as usual and bought ali, which I had gone stainless on this occasion, V would not even realise there was an option. :lol:

I dont have to use the copper spout, theres a 15mm thread there for a pick up. The copper spout tightens up on an olive and a nut, which i can take off if its easier.

Spot on V, 15mm compression not 1/2 :oops: :lol:
The think that confuses people is that 1/2 bsp refers to the pipe size, the outer thread diameter is 20 -21 mm .
S

welshguzzler said:
Does this sound right, part d, female thread with female cam coupler
part e, hosetail with male cam adaptor? :thumb:
That looks like it would work, but to me It's easier to operate, if the hose has the female camlock and the male camlock is fixed. Think about it. ;)
But either way will work and you may want to vary options to stop the wrong connection being made. ;)

Have a look here

If I had done it your way on the cooler there perhaps would be no room for the clips.

welshguzzler said:
Is that a part a and c then? :wha: :wha: . thanks for advice too chaps. :thumb:

"Thats the way to do it" :lol: with a, lets get it right this time, 15mm compression x 1/2 bsp thread fitting ;)

The big question is material choice, I think I mentioned I got ali ones, which are fine, but on this occasion I wish I had gone stainless, but works out about twice the price, which for me would have been over £80 :)

I have heard people using cone seat unions, might be worth looking at, do a search, or try BES plumbing ;)

Ha Ha, got there in the end, i'll look into it now, only want to the pump to transfer the wort. Could i transfer from the HLT to the mash and then to the boiler with just the one pump. Am i right in thinking it'll just involve a bit of swapping hoses around. :hmm:

welshguzzler said:
Ha Ha, got there in the end, i'll look into it now, only want to the pump to transfer the wort. Could i transfer from the HLT to the mash and then to the boiler with just the one pump. Am i right in thinking it'll just involve a bit of swapping hoses around. :hmm:
One pump is fine, I have the HLT up high so that I can gravity feed to the tun and also gravity sparge ;)
Then I pump from the tun around the HERMS and back to the tun, when its time I put the out hose into the boiler.
After a quick change of hoses I pump from the boiler back to the boiler as a sanitiser and then through the sanitised cooler into the FV. :D
S

I'll have to pump from my HLT to the mash because im using gas and the height of the HLT if i raise it up to gravity feed is a bit too high for my liking. This sounds like a stupid question to me but, say i need 20 litres for example from my HLT, using the pump, do i just turn the tap off at the desired mark, and will the pump suck the tube dry, or will i have to account for the water loss in the tube? :? :?

Back