Can I freeze Grape Vine leaves?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee1901

Reaction score
I have shed loads of leaves on my grape vine. As I don't have time to use them at the moment, I wondered if they would freeze ok? It'd be a shame to waste them. If they're ok to freeze, any suggestions as to how to get the best from them or can I just put them in a plastic bag and stick them in the freezer? I'd thought about using my food vacuum on them.

Anyone tried Folly wine?

Thanks x

Started a demijohn of folly wine last week. Put the young leaves (4 carrier bags worth) in a bucket and covered with 4l of boiling water.
Following CJJ Berry's brew.
Has some spare liquid left over and was taken aback by how floral the liquid tasted.

As for freezing, having tasted the floral quality, when the cells freeze that could alter the flavour. Positively I know not.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Applesnmore.

I might just put the paint brush down and go and collect the vine cuttings. I've googled it and there's lots of info on freezing them for Dolmas but very little, i.e., nothing, on freezing for wine making. Really interesting that they have a floral taste. I've read that the Folly wine can actually be nicer than the wine made from the grapes of the same vine so really interested in trying it.

Will you update on your wine's progress please? I'm only just starting out down the homebrew route but eager to learn as much and as quickly as possible. I've just forked out a whole £20 for a freezer for the garage to accommodate all of my homebrew 'potential' ingredients as want to gather as much as possible when its in season. Happy days. x

Good luck.
Agree about leaves for Dolmas, but as stuffing with something flavourful.....

I started brewing rhubarb wine last year, and it's gone down hill from there. And as for a lack of freezer space. Am up to 3 now. Mad.

These are my 11 babies
2 x rhubarb
2x blackcurrant
Rhubarb and prune, redcurrant, ginger, plum, folly, runner bean and a california connoisseur shiraz.

ddddddddd.jpg

Back