can i re-fire a failed DJ of Lidl grape juice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upthetump

Reaction score
when i tried it it has gone sour, i put a tatty cork on the air lock and didn't seal the DJ properly. is it possilble to re-sweeten and re-ferment? many thanks for any info.

Not the answer you wanted to hear, but if it has “gone sour” that's probably game over. Sorry.

Stabilise, sweeten and hide it away for 6 months, it could still surprise you, but from here I can't taste if it's gone bad or just oxidised.

hi thanks for that, to give you an idea, it whooshed around the bung and ferment was over in 4-5 days, SG is 1000 and tastes like vinegar, i suspect game over but as my son in law bought the ingredients i was hoping to ressurrect it rather that bin it as i will have to replace it. :?

upthetump said:
tastes like vinegar, i suspect game over
I think you've answered your own question.

Was it just grape juice? Red or white?

just Lidl red grape juice, it was my first attempt at this. I made some from fresh blackberries last autumn which went ok but this has been a disaster :(

Take a look at the Wurzel's Orange threads, that recipe can be modified and the same method used for other juice combinations, one grape + one other, e.g. red grape & cranberry.

You won't make anything worthwhile from just supermarket red grape juice, unless perhaps you go upmarket to the Welch's Purple.

upthetump said:
is it possilble to re-sweeten and re-ferment?

Yes, it's possible, but probably not worth the effort. You could probably use it for cooking or for home-made chutneys.

If you do want to re-ferment you'll need to remove the alcohol, of course, before you add new yeast, and one way to do this is to open all the windows in your kitchen and boil it for 20 minutes. I think this is legal, as long as you don't try to capture and cool the vapours (a process known on here as "the D word"), which are flammable (hence the open windows).

Not the answer you wanted to hear, but if it has “gone sour” that's probably game over. Sorry.
Amen

Personally I have given up on wine making because it takes too long and I have yet to have any great results.

Kyral210 said:
Personally I have given up on wine making because it takes too long and I have yet to have any great results.

That seems a shame, why not keep trying, it's certainly worth it when you get it right? :thumb:

Latest posts

Back